This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
3 Ingredient Mexican Rice – your favorite Mexican restaurant style rice at home with only 3 ingredients. This rice comes together in only 15 minutes and in only one pot. Yup, you heard that right!
You know that rice you get at your favorite Mexican restaurant along with your enchiladas or chimichangas, well I love that rice. But to be fair I love all Mexican food, but that rice is what brings the whole meal together. I don’t know about you though, but I can eat a bowl of this rice, call it lunch and be happy happy happy.
To make this, all you need are 3 ingredients and 15 minutes! It takes you longer to get to the restaurant and order it than make this in your home, seriously.
I sometimes feel like I don’t cook enough with rice, somehow I always gravitate towards pasta dishes, but I do love rice probably just as much as pasta. Some of my favorite dishes are made with rice, like chicken and seafood paella or this chicken enchilada rice casserole, but nothing beats the simplicity of this rice dish.
The 3 ingredients that you need are rice, chicken broth and enchilada sauce. Yep, by adding enchilada sauce to this rice dish you give it all those Mexican flavors you love so much. Then top it with whatever toppings you prefer, I used chopped tomatoes, green onions and cilantro. You don’t need the toppings though, this rice is so so good. I told you I like simple dishes, and you can’t get any simpler than this.
- Rice – Basmati is what I used today, but feel free to use whatever kind is your favorite. Keep in mind that heartier rices will take longer to cook.
- Broth – Chicken broth low sodium as always please, we want to control the sodium content of our dish.
- Sauce – Enchilada sauce, 1 entire cans worth. If you’d rather go the homemade route you can use my recipe.
- Green onions
How To Make 3 Ingredient Mexican Rice
- Cook the rice: In a large skillet or saucepan add the rice chicken broth and enchilada sauce. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, stir well, cover the pot, then turn down the heat to a medium.
- Finish the dish: Cook for about 10 to 15 minutes, or until the rice is cooked, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper. Top with tomatoes, green onions and cilantro before serving.
And that’s it! It’s literally that easy to put together a picture perfect little side dish, yum!
How To Make Enchilada Sauce
I love a rich, flavorful enchilada sauce. Packed full of complex flavors like cumin, chili, garlic, and acidic tomatoes, this sauce is a slam dunk whether you opt for store bought or homemade. Personally I love to make this dish even more complex by using a homemade sauce, luckily for you all there’s a recipe for doing just that right here on the blog.
What Can I Pair My Mexican Rice With?
This dish pairs well with so many dishes, especially big protein heavy entrees. Definitely play around with different combinations because regardless you can’t go wrong!
- Pork Carnitas
- Chicken Shawarma
- Lemon Garlic Roasted Chicken Legs
- Roast Chicken
- Perfect Pork Tenderloin
- Beef Brisket
- Feel free to throw in any protein you’d like! This dish is a perfect way to use up some leftovers you have sitting around taking up space in your fridge.
- If you’d like to add some golden color and complex flavor to this dish, feel free to saute the rice in some oil before cooking.
- Sub some water and a chicken bouillon cube for the chicken broth to give a flavor concentrate to the dish.
- Once you’ve made this Mexican rice a few times you’ll never need to look at a recipe again, it’s just so easy to throw together.
Be sure to store this Mexican rice as soon as it’s cooled as rice is a breeding ground for bacteria. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 – 4 days. If freezing store this dish in a freezer bag with the air pressed out. Thaw overnight in the fridge and fluff the rice before reheating. This dish will last up to 3 months in the freezer.
More Incredible Rice Recipes To Enjoy
- Combine all the ingredients: In a large skillet or saucepan add the rice chicken broth and enchilada sauce. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, stir well, cover the pot, then turn down the heat to a medium.
- Cook the rice: Cook for about 10 to 15 minutes, or until the rice is cooked, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper.
- Season and garnish: Season with salt and pepper. Top with tomatoes, green onions and cilantro before serving.
- I used canned enchilada sauce, but feel free to make your own.
- You can add ground beef, cooked chicken, or prawns to turn this into a full meal.
- Be sure to store this dish as soon as it’s cooled as rice is a breeding ground for bacteria. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 – 4 days. If freezing store this dish in a freezer bag with the air pressed out. Thaw overnight in the fridge and fluff the rice before reheating. This dish will last up to 3 months in the freezer.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.