These Lemon Garlic Roasted Chicken Legs are loaded with flavor, perfect for a super quick dinner. The best part? No bowls to wash, super fast prep all in one pan!
What I love about this recipe is its simplicity. You do it all in a ziploc bag, no bowls to wash and cooked in just one pan, which in my book is huge. You basically add all these ingredients to a ziploc bag, close it up, then just shake shake shake!
There’s plenty of flavor in this marinade, chock full of bright lemon, tons of fresh garlic, and some punchy oregano and thyme. I do specify to marinate this for minimum of 30 minutes, although if you really want these flavors to penetrate the chicken all the way through, go for longer. So let’s get cooking!
Why Chicken Legs?
But why chicken legs, you ask. Why not, I say. They’re delicious, they’re portable which is great if you’re having a picnic, or are asked to bring something to a potluck, plus you can also eat them cold. Seriously, what more do you want?
Of course, who am I to say that you cannot use chicken thighs, or chicken breast, any cuts of chicken will actually work for this recipe, just check the recipe notes for instructions.
Detailed measurements and instructions can be found on the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page.
- Chicken – I’m using legs today, skin on for flavor and texture. Although any cut of chicken will work.
- Butter – I always use unsalted to control the sodium content of our dish.
- Olive oil – We want a nice neutral tasting oil to allow our chicken to crisp up beautifully.
- Herbs – I’m using dried oregano and fresh thyme.
- Smoked paprika – Now it’s not a roast chicken recipe with out a little smoked paprika in my books, just trust me on this one.
- Garlic – Use as much or little as you like.
- Lemon – Fresh sliced up.
- Seasoning – Salt and pepper to taste.
How To Make Lemon Garlic Roasted Chicken Legs
- Marinate the chicken legs: In a large ziploc bag add the chicken legs, melted butter, olive oil, oregano, paprika, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Close the ziploc bag and toss everything together well. Place the ziploc bag in the fridge and marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes up to 24 hours.
- Preheat your oven: to 450 F degrees.
- Finish the dish: Transfer the chicken legs to a large casserole dish and place the lemon slices in between the legs. Bake uncovered for 30 to 35 minutes or until legs are golden brown and cooked through. Finally. garnish with fresh thyme and serve warm.
Can I Use Other Cuts Of Chicken?
Of course you can! Consider chicken the blank canvas for this tasty marinade, so feel free to have some fun! Moist, tender chicken thigh would cook down beautifully in this sauce and it would really kick chicken breast up a notch.
- Boneless skinless chicken thigh: 425F for 12-15 minutes.
- Bone-in skin-on chicken thighs: 425F for 25-28 minutes.
- Boneless skinless chicken breast: 425F for 15-20 minutes.
- Bone-in skin-on chicken breast: 425F for 40-45 minutes.
How To Check If Your Chicken Is Done
To ensure your chicken is cooked through, the best way is to use a thermometer. A thermometer inserted in the middle of the drumstick should read 180 to 185 degrees. If you don’t have a thermometer, another way to ensure your chicken is cooked is to pierce it with a knife and if the juices that run out are clear, your chicken should be cooked.
How To Serve
These wonderful roasted chicken legs will go well with any of your favorite sides! Whether you’re looking for some carbs or a nice fresh salad check some of these recipes out:
- Mexican Street Corn Salad
- Mediterranean Couscous Salad
- Deviled Egg Macaroni Salad
- Kale and Quinoa Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
- Garlic Parmesan Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Old Fashioned Green Beans
- Garlic and Herb Roasted Carrots
- Cauliflower Poppers
Can I Make Chicken Legs In The Instant Pot?
You sure can, and it’ll make this recipe even quicker!
- Marinate your chicken to prepare it to cook.
- Pour 1 cup of water into your Instant Pot and insert the trivet before layering your chicken on over top. Lock the lid and allow to cook for 15 minutes on the poultry setting.
- You can crisp them up under the broiler afterwards if you’d like, just keep an eye on them so that they don’t burn.
You can store this in the fridge for 2 – 3 days in an airtight container. Just be sure the chicken is cooled before placing it in the fridge.
Stored in an airtight container these roasted chicken legs will keep for up to 4 months. Just allow it to thaw in the fridge overnight before warming back up to temperature in the oven.
Craving More Chicken Legs? Try These Delicious Recipes:
- Garlic and Paprika Chicken
- Honey Soy Chicken Drumsticks
- Honey Mustard Glazed Chicken
- Roast Chicken
- Buttermilk Fried Chicken
Looking for more recipes? Follow on…
Lemon Garlic Roasted Chicken Legs
- 12 chicken legs skin on
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lemon sliced
- fresh thyme for garnish
- In a large ziploc bag add the chicken legs, melted butter, olive oil, oregano, paprika, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Close the ziploc bag and toss everything together well.
- Place the ziploc bag in the fridge and marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes up to 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 450 F degrees.
- Transfer the chicken legs to a large casserole dish and place the lemon slices in between the legs. Bake uncovered for 30 to 35 minutes or until legs are golden brown and cooked through.
- Garnish with fresh thyme and serve warm.