This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Garlic and Paprika Chicken – Deliciously baked, crispy, juicy and tender chicken drumsticks with a garlic and smoked paprika sauce. A great chicken recipe that’s been on a the blog for years, and a reader favorite!
If your spice cabinet is without smoked paprika, I have a revelation for you my friend. It combines the sweetness of regular paprika with some smoked complexity and adds so much depth to literally any dish you can imagine adding it to! This chicken is fall off the bone tender, smothered in a sauce so good you’ll be licking your plate clean as soon as it’s done – I promise!
Not only is this recipe a reader favorite, but this is a recipe that makes its way often in my kitchen because it’s also one of my favorite! It’s a recipe I make often, especially if I have guests coming over. In other words, it’s really quick to put together and it’s really impressive.
How To Cook With Paprika
Cultures that love to cook with Paprika already know what I’m about to tell you, that being generous with this spice will add so much depth and a mild burn to whatever dish you sprinkle it in. Smoked paprika adds a little more heat than its regular counter part, so keep this in mind while cooking. Be gentle with your paprika as it tends to burn easily if heated directly in a skillet.
This spice is delicious in nearly any protein dish, placed into omelettes or scrambled eggs, or even sprinkled over top soft cheeses like brie before being baked till gooey in the oven.
Detailed measurements and instructions can be found on the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page.
- Chicken – I used drumsticks today but feel free to use any kind of chicken you’d like! This sauce is spectacular no matter the cut.
- Olive oil – We want a nice neutral tasting oil that will ensure our spice blend sticks to our chicken and crisps up the exterior nicely.
- Garlic – Use as much or little as you like.
- Spices – Smoked paprika and red pepper flakes for some added heat. Feel free to omit the red pepper if you’re spice averse.
- Herbs – Fresh parsley and oregano are needed in this Garlic Paprika Chicken. If dried is all you have keep in mind that dried herbs are more potent than fresh, 1 teaspoon equals 1 tablespoon of fresh.
- Seasoning – Salt and pepper to taste.
How To Make Garlic Paprika Chicken
- Preheat the oven: To 425 F degrees.
- Prepare the flavor base: In a small skillet heat the olive oil. Add the garlic, smoked paprika, red pepper flakes and the herbs. Cook for about 1 minute over medium heat, do not burn the garlic or the paprika.
- Clean the chicken: Clean your chicken drumsticks and dry them before patting with paper towel. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine the chicken and sauce: Pour the paprika/olive oil mixture over the drumsticks, be sure they are coated thoroughly. Place the drumsticks in a 9 x 13 baking dish and bake for about 45 minutes or until chicken legs are cooked through. Serve with your favorite side dish and/or salad.
Other Cooking Options
Combine the sauce ingredients plus the oil in a bag with the chicken drumsticks and shake to coat evenly. Line the bottom of your slow cooker with sliced white onion and spread the chicken over top. Place the lid on your slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 2 – 4 hours.
Insert a cup of water or chicken broth into the pressure cooker and place the provided trivet on top. Place the sauce ingredients and the drumsticks in a bag and shake well to ensure the chicken is fully coated, place the chicken over the trivet and close the lid according to manufacture guidelines. Cook on manual HIGH for 15 minutes before allowing the steam to release naturally and serve the chicken hot.
Stored in an air tight container properly cooled, this chicken dish will keep for 3 – 4 days in the fridge. Just reheat in the microwave or the oven if you’d prefer when ready to eat.
Place the drumsticks on a baking sheet and allow to freeze till frozen through, place the drumsticks in a freezer bag or an air tight container after wards and this method will allow them to keep for 4 – 6 months. Remove from the freezer and allow to thaw in the fridge over night when ready to eat. Just reheat in the oven at 350 F degrees till warmed through and enjoy!
Craving More Chicken? Try These Delicious Dishes:
- Roast Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala
- One Pan Roasted Honey Orange Chicken And Potatoes
- Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken
- Chicken Rice Pilaf
- Chicken Pot Pie Pasta
- Garlic Butter Chicken
- Firecracker Chicken Meatballs
- Preheat oven to 425 F degrees.
- In a small skillet heat the olive oil. Add the garlic, smoked paprika, red pepper flakes and the herbs. Cook for about 1 minute over medium heat, do not burn the garlic.
- Clean and dry the drumsticks and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour this olive oil mixture over the drumsticks and make sure the drumsticks are coated thoroughly with the olive oil/paprika mixture.
- Place the drumsticks in a 9×13 baking dish and bake for about 45 minutes or until chicken legs are cooked through.
- Serve with your favourite side dish and/or salad.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.