Honey Mustard Chicken – a simple recipe for chicken baked to perfection with a honey, mustard and soy sauce glaze. You can serve this alongside some fluffy carbs, ideally something that will soak up all that drool worthy sauce. Let’s get this dish into your weekly rotation!
Honey Mustard Chicken
I’m sure everyone must have their favorite chicken recipe, and over the years I’ve shared many favorites of mine here, but this honey mustard chicken has got to be somewhere at the very top. Believe me this chicken combines flavor with simplicity, thus making it a no brainer go to for those mid week meals.
Aside from the simplicity and the availability of the ingredients, this chicken is sweet, it’s spicy, it’s sticky, and it’s sinfully delicious. That sauce caramelizes as the chicken bakes turning into this most amazing and flavorful glaze ever. I’m telling you this chicken is finger licking good and you will be licking your fingers as you eat this.
There is a special spot in heaven for all things glazed in honey and mustard, is there any Western sweet and savory combination quite as classic? Okay other than PB and J. But this is (almost) as simple – so let’s get into it!
Ingredients In Honey Mustard Chicken
- Chicken – I used drumsticks today but feel free to use any kind of chicken you’d like! This sauce is spectacular no matter the cut.
- Olive oil – We want a nice neutral tasting oil that will ensure our spice blend sticks to our chicken and crisps up the exterior nicely.
- Seasoning – Salt and pepper to taste.
- Honey – We want a nice syrupy glaze and honey is how we achieve just that. The consistency will ensure the glaze sticks to every nook and cranny.
- Spices – Chili flakes for some heat, feel free to omit if you’re spice averse.
- Mustard – Some grainy mustard for heat, flavor, and texture.
No Drumsticks On Hand?
You can use chicken breasts, thighs, or wings if you like. Chicken breast will take about 35 minutes until it’s done but the timing can also depend on the thickness of the chicken breast. Chicken thighs will also take about 35 to 40 minutes. However the best way to tell is to use a meat thermometer.
Make The Mustard Your Own
Grainy mustard can be replaced with any type of mustard you prefer. Yellow, Dijon, hot – the world is your oyster!
How To Make Honey Mustard Chicken
Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.
Create the sauce: In a small bowl whisk together the soy sauce, chili flakes, honey, mustard, olive oil and salt and pepper until it emulsifies, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Prep the chicken: Place chicken drumsticks in a baking dish, one that’s about 9×13 inch. Pour sauce over chicken drumsticks and make sure they are all nicely coated in the sauce.
Bake for about an hour or until chicken is cooked through.
What To Serve With Honey Mustard Chicken
I like to make this into a nice big spread, a satisfying big old meal if you will with some simple and flavorful side dishes.
- Mashed Potatoes
- No Knead Bread – for dipping in that delicious sauce.
- Fluffy white rice, fresh and steaming waiting to be topped with this crave-able sauce.
- Creamy Polenta
- Any super simple salad that happens to be your favorite, I like one like Kale And Quinoa Salad With Lemon Vinaigrette or Kale Salad With Blueberry Vinaigrette.
- Best of both worlds in regards for carbs and salad, Mediterranean Orzo Salad is a perfect accompaniment.
How Do You Know When The Chicken Is Cooked Through
At 350 F degrees (175C) chicken drumsticks will bake in about 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes. The best way to tell when your chicken is done is to use a meat thermometer. When the chicken reaches anywhere from 165 to 175 F degrees, it’s done.
Craving More Chicken? Try These Delicious Dishes:
- Roast Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala
- One Pan Roasted Honey Orange Chicken And Potatoes
- Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken
- Chicken Rice Pilaf
- Cilantro Lime Chicken
- Chicken Parmesan
- Firecracker Chicken Meatballs
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
Honey Mustard Chicken
- ¼ cup soy sauce low sodium
- ½ tsp chili flakes
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp grainy mustard
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper or to taste
- 6 chicken drumsticks
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.
- In a small bowl whisk together the soy sauce, chili flakes, honey, mustard, olive oil and salt and pepper until it emulsifies, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Place chicken drumsticks in a baking dish, one that's about 9x13 inch. Pour sauce over chicken drumsticks and make sure they are all nicely coated in the sauce.
- Bake for about an hour or until chicken is cooked through.
- You can use chicken breasts, thighs, or wings if you like. Wings would only need about 40-45 minutes to cook.
- Grainy mustard can be replaced with any type of mustard you prefer.
- You can make this in the slow cooker for 3 hours on high or 6 hours on low.
Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container in for 3 to 5 days.
Freeze in an airtight container for 1 to 2 months.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.