This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Honey Mustard Chicken recipe is about to become your new go-to favorite! It’s irresistibly juicy and covered in a savory honey-mustard glaze, making it the perfect dinner treat that’s quick and simple to prepare.
The Best Honey Mustard Chicken Recipe
Trust me, this Honey Mustard Chicken is a game-changer! Imagine juicy chicken drumsticks, glazed with a blend of soy sauce, honey, and grainy mustard, promising a tantalizing fusion of savory and sweet in every bite.
But it’s not just the taste that’s a win, it’s the simplicity too. A quick marinade, a little oven time, and voila – you have a lip-smacking, impressive main course on the table. Whether you’re hosting a dinner party or jazzing up a weeknight meal, this recipe is your secret weapon!
Why You’ll Love These Honey Mustard Chicken Drumsticks
- Unforgettable Flavor: The harmonious blend of honey, mustard, and soy sauce creates an irresistible glaze, offering a perfect balance of sweet, savory, and tangy notes that’s hard to forget.
- Effortless Preparation: It’s as simple as mixing the ingredients, coating the chicken, and letting the oven work its magic. This dish is a time-saver without sacrificing the gourmet feel.
- Versatile Pairing: This chicken dish pairs beautifully with various sides, from fresh salads to creamy mashed potatoes or even steamed vegetables. It’s a star in any meal setting, casual or formal.
- Soy Sauce: Used for its rich, salty, and umami flavor. It’s the base of our marinade. Substitute with tamari or coconut aminos for gluten-free options.
- Chili Flakes: Adds a kick of heat to our dish. You can adjust the amount to your heat preference or skip it if you prefer a milder flavor.
- Honey: Provides a natural sweetness that balances the saltiness of the soy sauce and the heat of the chili flakes. Maple syrup can be a great substitute if you’re out of honey.
- Grainy Mustard: It’s all about the tang and texture. Dijon mustard can be used if grainy mustard isn’t available.
- Olive Oil: Helps the marinade adhere to the chicken, also adds a layer of richness. You can substitute with other oils like canola or avocado oil.
- Salt and Pepper: Essential for seasoning. Don’t forget these to bring out the flavors.
- Chicken Drumsticks: The star of the dish! You could also use thighs or wings, just adjust the cooking time accordingly.
This easy recipe is proof that you don’t need a long list of ingredients or have to spend hours in the kitchen to create something truly delicious! With very little effort you can have this finger-licking good chicken on the table!
First, you need to preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) to get this recipe going! It needs to be nice and hot when the chicken goes in to ensure that it cooks evenly. Then grab a 9×13-inch baking dish and set it aside.
Next, let’s make the tasty honey mustard sauce! Whisk the soy sauce, chili flakes, honey, mustard, olive oil, salt, and black pepper together in a small bowl until fully blended and smooth. It’s important to whisk the sauce together for about at least 30 seconds to 1 minute so it can properly emulsify.
Once the yummy sauce is ready, place your chicken drumsticks in a single layer in the baking dish. Next, pour the sauce over the drumsticks. Then use a spoon, pastry brush, or your hands to help distribute the sauce and fully coat all sides of the chicken legs.
Now, let the oven do its magic! Transfer the baking dish to your preheated oven and bake the drumsticks for about one hour. The cooking time may vary slightly depending on the size and thickness of your drumsticks. You can use a meat thermometer to ensure that the chicken is fully cooked. Just insert it into the thickest part of the drumsticks to confirm that they’ve reached a minimum temperature of at least 165°F (74°C).
Finally, remove the perfectly cooked drumsticks from the oven and allow them to rest for a few minutes to let the juices redistribute. Then serve the honey mustard chicken alongside some of your favorite sides, such as perfectly roasted root vegetables, buttery yellow rice, or a fresh kale salad.
To enhance the flavors, marinate the chicken drumsticks in the honey mustard sauce for at least an hour before baking. It infuses the chicken with more depth of flavor, resulting in a more succulent and flavorful dish.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use chicken thighs or wings instead of drumsticks?
Absolutely! You can substitute with any cut of chicken. Just be aware cooking times may vary depending on the size and type of cut.
I don’t have grainy mustard, what can I use instead?
You can use Dijon mustard or yellow mustard in a pinch. The taste may slightly vary, but it’ll still be delicious.
Can this dish be made ahead?
Yes, you can marinate the chicken in the sauce and keep it in the fridge overnight. This can actually enhance the flavors as the chicken will have more time to absorb the marinade.
Can I grill the drumsticks instead of baking them?
Yes, grilling can add a nice smoky flavor to the drumsticks. Just make sure to frequently baste them with the sauce to keep them juicy and flavorful.
- Test for Doneness: Use a meat thermometer to ensure your chicken is fully cooked. Chicken is safe to eat when its internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C).
- Crispy Skin: If you prefer a crispy skin, turn on the broiler for the last few minutes of baking. But watch it closely to avoid burning!
- Rest the Meat: Allow the chicken to rest for a few minutes before serving. This allows the juices to redistribute throughout the meat, making it juicier and more flavorful.
To store leftover honey mustard chicken, let the chicken cool down completely first. Then place it in an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator. Properly stored, it will last for 3 to 4 days.
If you want to extend the shelf life, you can freeze it. Just transfer the cooled chicken to freezer-safe bags or containers, and it should be good for 2 to 3 months. To reheat, thaw in the fridge overnight if frozen, and then reheat in the oven at 350°F (175°C) until warmed through.
Other Chicken Recipes You’ll Love
- Roast Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala
- One Pan Roasted Honey Orange Chicken And Potatoes
- Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken
- Chicken Rice Pilaf
- Chicken Parmesan
- Hot Honey Chicken
- Firecracker Chicken Meatballs
- Preheat oven to 375℉.
- In a small bowl whisk together the soy sauce, chili flakes, honey, mustard, olive oil and salt and pepper until it emulsifies, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Place chicken drumsticks in a baking dish, one that’s about 9×13 inch. Pour sauce over chicken drumsticks and make sure they are all nicely coated in the sauce.
- Bake for about an hour or until chicken is cooked through.
- Using low sodium soy sauce prevents the dish from becoming overly salty. However, if you only have regular soy sauce on hand, adjust the added salt to taste.
- Chicken drumsticks can be substituted with chicken thighs or breasts, but keep in mind cooking times may vary.
- If you want to make the dish spicier, feel free to increase the amount of chili flakes.
- Marinating the chicken for a few hours in the fridge can deepen the flavors. If you have time, consider preparing the chicken a day in advance for the best taste.
- Remember to turn the chicken halfway through cooking to ensure even baking and browning.
- Check the internal temperature of the chicken to ensure it reaches 165°F (74°C) for safe consumption.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.