Last updated on April 23rd, 2019 at 03:17 pm
This Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken is finger licking good, so delicious and super quick and easy! With a teriyaki sauce made from scratch, 8 minutes in the Instant Pot, this chicken is outrageously tender!
WHAT IS TERIYAKI CHICKEN
Teriyaki chicken is a classic Japanese dish and it’s one of my favorites and most ordered dish whenever I frequent a Japanese restaurant. Teriyaki is such a classic sauce and marinade and while sometimes it’s easier to buy the bottled version, homemade is always better.
This classic dish can be made in the Instant Pot can be ready in only 30 minutes, which means that sometimes that can even beat take out, plus you get bragging rights. While this recipe is for teriyaki chicken, you can make the sauce, bottle it up and use it on many other proteins such as salmon or flank steak.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH TERIYAKI CHICKEN
- I always serve it over rice. I love Jasmine rice or Basmati rice. Feel free to make the the day before or even while the chicken is cooking.
- Serve it with steamed vegetables such as broccoli or baby bok choy.
- Don’t be afraid to garnish your teriyaki chicken, my favorite garnishes are sesame seeds and green onions.
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST INSTANT POT TERIYAKI CHICKEN
- Both chicken thighs or chicken breasts work for the recipe (read recipe notes), however I prefer chicken thighs because they are juicier and are more flavorful.
- Always use a light soy sauce to reduce the sodium content. Sometimes I like to add a 1/2 to 1 tsp of dark soy sauce for that extra dark color.
- Use mirin if you can find it. I usually find it in my regular grocery store in the Asian aisle, however feel free to substitute it with brown sugar if you can’t find it, as it’s used to add sweetness to the teriyaki sauce.
MORE CHICKEN THIGH RECIPES
- Grilled Harissa Sesame Chicken Thighs
- Spicy Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs with Rice and Broccolini
- Chicken Thighs with Sweet Potatoes Corn and Kale Bake
- Crockpot Thai Chicken Thighs
Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken
- 3 green onions chopped
- sesame seeds
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. (See your manufacturer's guide for detailed instructions on how to use your instant pot.)
- Add the water, soy sauce, mirin, honey, sesame oil, garlic and ginger to the instant pot and stir.
- Place chicken thighs in the instant pot, they should be immersed in the liquid.
- Close the lid (follow the manufacturer's guide for instructions on how to close the instant pot lid). Set the Instant Pot to the Poultry setting and set the timer to 8 minutes.
- Once the Instant Pot cycle is complete, wait until the natural release cycle is complete, should take about 10 minutes. Follow the manufacturer's guide for quick release, if in a rush. Carefully unlock and remove the lid from the instant pot.
- Remove chicken from the instant pot and place on a baking sheet.
- Switch the Instant Pot to the saute setting (do not put the lid on). Transfer the chicken to a bowl using a slotted spoon. Thicken the sauce by stirring the cornstarch with 3 tbsp cold water and stir it into the sauce. Cook for 5 minutes on the Saute mode, stirring occasionally. Turn off your Instant Pot by pressing the cancel button.
- Brush the chicken with the sauce, then place the baking sheet under the broiler until browned, for about 5 minutes.
- Garnish the chicken with sesame seeds or green onions. Serve over rice.
Watch How To Make It
- I strongly recommend reading the manufacturer's guide for instructions on how to use your Instant Pot before attempting this recipe.
- Chicken breast can also be used, just reduce the cooking time to 5 minutes.
- You could try adding a tsp of dark soy sauce to the teriyaki sauce for a darker color.
- Store leftover teriyaki sauce in a jar in the fridge. Should last for weeks.
- Mirin is a Japanese condiment that is similar to rice wine or sake, with a low alcohol content and higher sugar content.
- Nutrition: Nutritional information does NOT include rice. Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.