Last updated on August 8th, 2017 at 11:30 am
Chicken Thighs with Sweet Potatoes Corn and Kale Bake – a delicious Sunday night dinner, but simple enough to make on any night of the week.
I’ve been in training all week and my brain is F.R.I.E.D. These week long courses kill me, total information overload and it’s information that is not easy to retain. It’s something that comes with lots of practice and practice and more practice. But one good thing this week is that the weather has been beautiful here in good old Calgary and luckily I have lots of windows here in my office so I’ve been able to enjoy the sunshine from indoors, if there’s such a thing. Hubs has been a sweetheart all week long bringing me coffee and breakfast every morning, since my class starts in the wee hours of morning. At least it feels like it for me.
Since we’re approaching the weekend, I’ve got a fabulous Sunday night dinner for you. In my family, we’re used to big extravagant Sunday night dinners packed with appetizers, soups, some kind of roasted meat and potatoes and of course desserts. Today’s recipe, chicken thighs with sweet potatoes, corn and kale, is one that would shine on your Sunday night dinner table, but is also simple enough to make on any weeknight. After all, simplicity is what I strive for.
I dreamed up this combination one day before lunch when I was hungry and my stomach was growling at me. Can’t say I’ve ever mixed sweet potatoes, corn and kale together but it worked. All the flavors went together wonderfully.
I chose these chicken thighs with bone in and their skin on because I wanted some nice crispy chicken and this just worked for me. Of course you can use chicken breasts, no skin and no bones, up to you. As far as the veggies, well those were a totally random pick for me, but kale is probably the unusual ingredient here that sticks out and I must say that I was pleasantly surprised with how it turned out. As it bakes it gets nice and crispy so it adds great texture to this dish. Not to mention the beautiful color it adds to this meal.
Chicken Thighs with Sweet Potatoes Corn and Kale BakePrint Pin Rate
- 4 chicken thighs skin on, bones in
- 1 sweet potato peeled and cut in cubes
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 2 cups kale chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Season chicken thighs on both sides with salt and pepper. In a medium size skillet heat the olive oil and melt the butter together. Add chicken thighs to skillet and cook on both sides until gold and crispy. The chicken won't be cooked all the way through, but that's OK, since we'll continue cooking it in the oven. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
- Drain fat from skillet, leaving about a tbsp of the fat still in the skillet. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add sweet potatoes and cook for a couple minutes. You just want them to get a little brown. Add corn and cook for 2 more minutes. Add chopped kale, toss everything together and cook for another minute. Add the wine and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the cooked vegetables to the prepared baking dish. Place the chicken thighs over the vegetables and bake in the oven for about 30 minutes, or until chicken cooks through and sweet potatoes are fork tender.