Last updated on April 13th, 2019 at 10:40 pm
Chicken and Mushrooms in Creamy Dill Sauce – if you’re looking for a quick yet mouthwatering dish loaded with chicken, mushrooms in a smooth and rich creamy dill sauce, look no further!
This dish is similar to a dish my mom makes all the time, and one that’s always been a favorite of mine since I can remember. The main difference is that mom never uses white wine in hers and she usually makes it with chicken drumsticks. But the dill was always present, and I think that is probably my favorite part about this dish, the dill. I’m a huge fan of dill, it has to be the smell. The more dill you put in this dish the better it is, at least in my opinion.
My mom would usually serve this over some polenta or pasta, and I have to say that serving this over polenta is my favorite way to eat it. But that’s the beauty of this dish, is that you can literally serve it with anything. Rice, mashed potatoes, pasta, polenta, or you could even skip all that and just eat it with some fresh crusty bread that you can use to dip into this flavorful creamy dill sauce, because that my friends, is worth millions!
Another thing that’s great about this dish is that you can have it ready in 30 minutes and of course all in one pot, which in my book, it makes it the perfect weeknight meal.
I decided to use boneless and skinless chicken thighs because I love brown meat because they’re juicier, but as I said my mom always uses chicken drumsticks, however breast works as well. As far as the mushrooms go, I decided to go with small white mushrooms which I cut in half, or quartered if they were a bit bigger. You could also use cremini mushrooms, or I’ve even made this many times with shiitake mushrooms.
I know some of you will probably wonder if you can use yogurt instead of sour cream here to make it a tad bit healthier and the answer if yes, of course. I usually always use sour cream though, and that’s simply because for as long as I’ve been making this dish, and my mom, it’s always always been sour cream. Whatever you decide to use doesn’t matter, as long as you like it.
Did you love this recipe? Try my Creamy Garlic Parmesan Mushrooms!
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Chicken and Mushrooms in Creamy Dill Sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper or to taste
- 1 lb chicken thighs boneless and skinless, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic about 2 cloves
- 12 oz white mushrooms cut in half
- 1/2 cup white wine I used Sauvignon Blanc
- 1 cup chicken broth low sodium
- 2 tbsp fresh dill chopped
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp butter unsalted
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Generously season with salt and pepper. Add the chicken thighs and cook for about 5 minutes, until no longer pink.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for 2 more minutes until the onion is soft. Add the mushrooms and continue cooking for about 5 to 7 minutes until the mushrooms soften and are golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the white wine and chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Add the the dill and sour cream and stir to combine. Add the butter to skillet and stir it in to melt. In a small bowl whisk the flour with a couple ladles of the broth from the skillet. Pour this mixture back into the skillet, stir well and let it simmer for another 5 minutes minutes. Taste for seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper as needed.
- Garnish with additional dill if preferred. Serve over cooked rice, pasta, mashed potatoes or creamy polenta.
Watch How To Make It
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!