Bacon and Parmesan Stuffed Mushrooms – beautiful cremini mushrooms are stuffed with crispy, salty and delicious bacon and Parmesan cheese then roasted to perfection.
Let’s talk mushrooms, and most importantly, bacon! Why do I feel like it’s been forever since I’ve cooked with bacon other than frying up some bacon for breakfast every once in a while.
But I’ve made these stuffed mushrooms for a couple reasons: one, I happened to find these gorgeous large cremini mushrooms when I went grocery shopping last time. I’m a sucker for mushrooms, especially when I see all different kinds of mushrooms, I’m all over them.
The second reason is because I’ve missed bacon, and when I looked in our freezer I found a package of bacon and it was looking all lonely and begging to be fried. And let me tell you, mushrooms and bacon together are a thing of beauty, plus when you add some Parmesan cheese in the mix, well I’m sold!
HOW TO CLEAN MUSHROOMS
Mushrooms grow low to the ground so they will usually carry a bit of dirt when sold in stores. However, I never wash mushrooms because they will get waterlogged.
To clean them, use a damp paper towel or a soft mushroom brush to wipe each mushroom to remove any dirt. If you do want to rinse them, rinse them with cool water and pat them dry really well with paper towels. Do not soak the mushrooms. Mushrooms absorb water like sponges, so they won’t brown nicely when cooked.
TIPS FOR MAKING BACON AND PARMESAN STUFFED MUSHROOMS
Try and find mushrooms that are large enough to hold the stuffing. Cremini mushrooms or large white mushrooms are perfect. As they cook they will shrink.
I always pre-bake or pre-cook my mushrooms first. I find that this way you will not end up with soggy mushrooms.
BACON AND PARMESAN STUFFED MUSHROOMS
Although I only needed 6 slices of bacon for this recipe, I must tell you I fried all the bacon, and not that I’m admitting to anything, but a lot of it went missing shortly after frying it. Funny how that happens.
These mushrooms are perfect for game day, or a delicious little appetizer for a get together. I’d serve them warm, so if you wanted to make these ahead, leave the 5 minute roasting time just before serving, this way all the work is done prior to your occasion.
LOOKING FOR MORE STUFFED MUSHROOMS? TRY THESE RECIPES:
Bacon and Parmesan Stuffed Mushrooms
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 6 slices bacon fried and chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper or to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb large cremini mushrooms cleaned, stems removed
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees.
- In a medium bowl add the Parmesan cheese, bacon, parsley and salt and pepper to taste. I usually don't add any salt because I find the Parmesan cheese and bacon provides enough saltiness, but I do add about 1/2 tsp of black pepper. Stir everything together and set aside.
- In a large oven safe skillet, add the olive oil and heat it over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook on both sides for about 2 or 3 minutes per side, just until the mushrooms start to brown a bit.
- Add about 1 tbsp of the bacon/cheese mixture to each mushroom, you should have enough to fill all the mushrooms.
- Place the mushrooms in the oven and bake for 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- To make these ahead for a party, do everything up until step 4, and refrigerate until ready for baking. 5 or 10 minutes before serving, place the mushrooms in the oven and roast them for 5 minutes.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.