This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms – these mushrooms are stuffed with lots of veggies plus goat cheese and topped with mozzarella cheese.
May is Vegetarian and Seafood Month at JoCooks. As I mentioned in my previous post, I am doing this to prove to myself that you can cook a variety of dishes with no meat.
Today’s recipe is one that I am a big fan of. I love mushrooms, and I love stuffed mushrooms. Portobello mushrooms are great for stuffing because they are so big and you can really stuff them with anything. These mushrooms were so delicious, they were gone instantly. I barely had time to take some pictures of them. 🙂
Mushrooms are great for you and they are full of vitamins. I cook with mushrooms a lot, and I love to try all different kinds of mushrooms. I don’t cook much with portobello mushrooms because I normally like to grill them with a little bit of salt, or use them on burgers.
Today, portobello mushrooms are the star ingredient in my recipe. Other vegetables I used are tomatoes, spinach, onion and garlic. I also added goat cheese to the mixture for lots of flavor and topped off the mushrooms with some mozzarella cheese. To me this dish was like a carb free vegetarian pizza.
If you guys love this recipe, and most importantly make it yourselves, please let us know. Leave a comment below and rate this recipe or take a picture and tag it #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
- 4 large portobello mushrooms
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 green bell pepper chopped
- 2 cups spinach chopped
- 4 cocktail tomatoes chopped
- 1/4 cup goat cheese crumbled
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper or to taste
- 1 tbsp hot sauce Frank's
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees.
- Carefully remove stems from mushrooms. Place the mushrooms stem side down onto a baking pan. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until the water leaks out of them. Remove from the oven and using paper towels soak up excess water. Set aside.
- Do not throw away the stems from the mushrooms but chop them up to be added to the stuffing.
- In a skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic and saute for a couple minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Add the green pepper and spinach to the skillet and cook for a couple more minutes. Add tomatoes, goat cheese, salt, pepper, mushrooms stems, hot sauce and breadcrumbs. Stir and cook for an additional couple minutes.
- Stuff the mushrooms with the mixture equally. Top with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until the cheese melts.