Zucchini Lasagna – low fat, low carb, ridiculously delicious and only 337 calories! This lasagna uses zucchini in place of pasta thereby reducing calories.
I am so excited about this recipe. Before today if you would have told me to try zucchini lasagna I might have given you a dirty look or laughed in your face. But my friend Fenne and I have decided to eat less carbs so we’ve been trying to come up with recipes that we love but with less carbs.
So we decided on zucchini lasagna. Not only is this beautiful recipe low carb but it is also low fat. So this gorgeous lasagna is what we came up with. It has zucchini in place of noodles, a delicious tomato sauce with ground beef and amazing spices, mushrooms and low fat mozzarella cheese, ricotta and Parmesan cheese.
The truth is pretty much whenever you give me something with cheese I’m bound to love it, but I really thought I wouldn’t like zucchini in place of noodles because I really love my good old fashioned lasagna. So we made this together. It’s so much fun cooking with a friend, after all that’s why I love cooking, so you can enjoy and share great food with friends and family. There’s nothing better.
As soon as this came out of the oven I knew it was going to be a winner. I mean look at this lasagna it looks simply amazing. We could hardly wait to dig into this, but we had to endure to take pictures so that I could share with all of you, of course. When we finally tried it, we were in love. You could not tell this was a healthy lasagna and that there were no noodles. The zucchini and mushroom kind of add that pasta texture, without making you feel bloated at the end of the meal. Trust me, you will love this, you will not miss those lasagna noodles at all.
And at 337 calories per serving, you can afford to have a couple pieces!
- 3 large zucchini, about a foot long
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups slices mushrooms, I used cremini
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp Frank's hot sauce
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 3 cups low fat mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- garnish with basil or parsley
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet and heat over medium heat. Add onion and cook for a couple minutes until onion is soft. Add garlic and ground beef and break the ground beef with a wooden spoon.
- Cook until the meat is no longer pink. Add bay leaves, cinnamon, oregano, pepper and Frank's hot sauce and stir. Cook for a couple more minutes. Add crushed tomatoes, stir and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.
- In the mean time, slice the zucchini in thin long strips, best way to do it is using a mandoline. Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray. For the base of the lasagna start with a layer of zucchini slices. Top with a bit of mozzarella and then a layer of mushroom slices. Next add a layer of the meat sauce, followed by dollops of ricotta cheese. Sprinkle with a mozzarella cheese. For mine it made 3 layers, so repeat with remaining ingredients and make sure you end with mozzarella cheese. Freshly shred the Parmesan cheese over the top.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until the top is starting to get golden and the cheese is bubbly.
- Garnish with basil or parsley and serve.