Pizza! One of my favorite foods to eat of all time. I am salivating just writing about it. We made this for the first time a couple weeks ago and we loved it so much we had to make it again. And again!
The funny thing was, it was a saturday night and we hadn’t gone grocery shopping yet. We were hungry and nothing to eat. So our goto food is always pizza, we’ve been making pizza ever since we learned how to make pizza dough and we never looked back since. Anyhow, we didn’t have too many ingredients to put on the pizza, not even pizza sauce. So what did we do, you ask. Now don’t get shocked, but we used ketchup! I know, don’t leave yet, listen to the rest of my story. I mixed the ketchup with some hot sauce and spread it over the dough. I wasn’t sure what was going to happen, but we were hungry. We always have shredded mozzarella in the freezer so I sprinkled the mozzarella over the ketchup. We had some various deli meat, like sliced ham, and uncooked bacon, so we chopped all that up and added it to the pizza. Next we needed some veggies for the pizza but all we had left was some mushrooms and cherry tomatoes, so we added those.
My friends, the rest is history. A new pizza was born. But ketchup you say. YES, ketchup. It gave the pizza a little bit of sweetness which went amazing with the spiciness of the hot sauce. Now ok, you don’t have to use ketchup, pizza sauce will work just fine, but don’t knock it till you try it. I didn’t think I was going to like it, but this pizza was unbelievable, it was very hard to stop eating it. Yep, ketchup…
- ½ pizza dough from this recipe
- ½ cup pizza sauce (or ketchup :))
- 1 tbsp hot sauce (I used Frank's)
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup mushrooms, diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup various deli meat, like ham, turkey or chicken, bacon, diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 500 F degrees.
- Roll out the pizza dough and place on a pizza baking pan, or a pizza stone.
- Mix the ketchup or pizza sauce with the hot sauce. Spread ketchup or pizza sauce mixture over the crust. Top with mozzarella cheese. Top with the deli meat evenly over the entire pizza. Top with mushrooms and cherry tomatoes.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and crust is golden brown.