I have to stop watching the foodnetwork channel. Especially the show Diners Drive-ins and Dives. It’s like I’m hooked on that show. The only thing is I can’t find the recipes for the foods they show so I have to make up my own based on what I remember, which is great, because I love making up my own recipes. So this is what I did here based on what I saw on the show.
First of all I can’t resist a good rice dish, seriously. It’s one of my weaknesses. But I’ll tell you what made me make this great recipe. This rice dish, are you ready for this … wait for it … has both beer and white wine! BAM!!
Isn’t that crazy? It’s brilliant if you ask me! How can you go wrong when you add both beer and white wine into a dish? Well you can’t! And that’s what happened here.
Pure and simple brilliance.
So sorry, I think I babbled on too much but I’m excited. But for those who don’t know what arroz con pollo means, it’s simply rice with chicken. It’s traditionally a dish from Spain or Latin America. I’m pretty sure every culture has their own version of chicken with rice, there are probably thousands out there. Now this dish was delicious, full of flavor, it’s got chicken and smoked chorizo sausage, beer and white wine. Put all these great ingredients together and you’ve got yourself one perfect rice dish!
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 8 chicken thighs with skin and bone in
- 1 smoked chorizo sausage link(about 10 inches), sliced in ¼ inch slices
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 bottle beer
- ½ cup white wine (I used Chardonay)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cube chicken bouillon
- 1 roasted red pepper (for garnish)
- ¼ cup chopped parsley (for garnish)
- Add olive oil to a large skillet, preferably one with a cover and heat over medium heat. In the mean time, season chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Place the chicken in the skillet and cook on each side just enough so that the chicken browns a bit. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.
- Add onion to skillet and cook for a couple minutes until onion is translucent. Add garlic, chopped pepper and chorizo sausage to skillet and cook until chorizo browns, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure the onion and garlic does not burn.
- Add rice to skillet and stir and brown the rice for about a minute. Add beer, white wine, chicken broth, chicken bouillon, bay leaves, oregano, cumin, tomato paste and season with salt and pepper. Add chicken back to skillet, add peas and stir.
- Cover the skillet with a lid and place in the oven. Bake for about 30 minutes.
- Garnish with roasted red pepper and parsley.
- Serve warm.