Whenever you’re in the mood to eat some cheesy pasta, this recipe of cheese and spinach stuffed shells is perfect. There are 4 types of cheeses in this dish, making it scrumptious and super delicious. I chose to mix some cottage and ricotta cheese for the stuffing, therefore making this dish healthier. I topped the shells with mozzarella cheese and some freshly grated Parmesan cheese and it turned out so good. Comfort food at its finest.
The sauce I used is is just store bought sweet basil marinara sauce, but of course you could make your own. This dish is great because it’s quick, and it’s easy to make. I made this on a Sunday, but it could easily be made on a weekday. I used a whole package of jumbo shells, only because some break, and I only wanted to use the ones that are whole. Cook the shells as per the instructions on the box and when they’re done, place them in ice cold water. I ended up filling 23 shells, making about 8 portions. For the filling, I mixed a cup of chopped spinach with ricotta cheese and cottage cheese, I used frozen spinach that I thawed out first.
This dish looks amazing, and it tastes delicious and it truly is a great meal. Your kids will thank you. Your spouse will thank you. You will thank yourself. Cheesy goodness.
- 30 jumbo pasta shells, cooked according to instructions on box
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup chopped frozen spinach, thawed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- basil for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees.
- In a medium bowl, add the ricotta cheese, cottage cheese, spinach, salt and pepper and mix well.
- In a 9 x 13 inch baking dish, spread out evenly a cup of the marinara sauce.
- Stuff each shell with a heaping tablespoon of the cheese and spinach mixture and place in the baking dish over the sauce.
- Top each shell with a tablespoon of the marinara sauce. Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese evenly over each shell.
- Bake for 20 minutes, after which change the heat to broil and bake for an additional 2 to 5 minutes so that the cheese browns a bit.
- Remove from oven and top with the Parmesan cheese and fresh basil.