Giant Skillet Cinnamon Roll with Caramelized Pears – It’s gooey, it’s caramelly, it’s got fruit, so sit back, relax, and enjoy.
One dessert I never get tired of is the cinnamon roll. Over the years I’ve made many cinnamon rolls, I’ve tried them all, but that does not stop me from continuing to create new and different cinnamon roll recipes. Why? It’s simple. I just love a good cinnamon roll. And what better way to showcase my love of cinnamon rolls than to make a giant skillet cinnamon roll with caramelized pears!
Call me crazy, but this recipe is a winner. Those caramelized pears are to die for, and what makes this giant cinnamon roll so great is how easy it is to make because I used Pillsbury biscuit dough to make the coils, thereby saving me a lot of time and hassle. You know what? It’s December and we’re too busy as it is, shopping, baking, more shopping, decorating house and tree, wrapping gifts, and let’s not forget working. Who’s got time to make their own dough. So say YES to this giant cinnamon roll! It’s gooey and caramelly from the caramelized pears and of course we’ve got the vanilla icing making its way into every crevice in this giant roll.
Still being in love with my cast iron skillet, as much as anyone can be in love with an iron skillet, it was my tool of choice here. I used it for caramelizing the pears as well as baking my cinnamon roll in it. What can I say, love is love and you can’t mess with love.
Using the Pillsbury biscuit dough was a no brainer, and I came up with the idea on a whim as I wanted something sweet but didn’t want to be bothered baking. I rolled each biscuit so that it was about 6 inches in length and cut into 3 strips, about an inch wide for each strip.
From then on it’s a piece of cake. Huh! You simply roll up each strip and around each circle you add some caramelized pears, be generous with your pears because this is what gives this cinnamon roll its unique caramel taste. All that’s left is to bake it, make some simple vanilla icing and eat, and eat and eat.
How can you not love this? It’s gooey, it’s caramelly, it’s got fruit so come on, there’s got to be some health benefit there, so sit back, relax, and enjoy.
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
Giant Skillet Cinnamon Roll with Caramelized Pears
For Caramelized Pears
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 large pears cored and sliced, I used Bosc pears
For Cinnamon Roll
For Vanilla Icing
- 1 cup powdered confectioners sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- In a 12 inch skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add brown sugar and stir; cook for about a minute or two until sugar is almost dissolved. Add sliced pears and toss making sure each slice is coated in sugar. Cook for about 8 minutes stirring occasionally and until pears are soft and golden. Remove pears from skillet to a plate and let cool.
- Mix the 1/2 cup of brown sugar with cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Roll each biscuit so that it's about 6 inches by 3 inches. Brush each biscuit with melted butter, then sprinkle with some cinnamon sugar mixture. Using a pizza cutter cut each biscuit into 3 long strips, each one about an inch in width.
- Start rolling up one strip in the center of the skillet. Surround the coil with slices of caramelized pears. Continue coiling with remaining strip and pears, one coil of dough, surrounded by a pears.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- While baking make the vanilla icing, by whisking all the icing ingredients together. Allow the cinnamon roll to cool before drizzling with icing.