This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Coconut Ginger Chicken & Vegetables – delicious and flavorful.
One of the cuisines I enjoy the most is Thai. Unfortunately since I’ve moved here to Calgary I haven’t been to a Thai restaurant, but I really miss the strong and bold flavors. Here in Calgary there are a lot of Vietnamese restaurants, and the funny thing is I’ve never been to a Vietnamese restaurant until I came to Calgary.
I don’t think I’ve ever attempted to make Thai food before and I don’t even know if this dish would qualify as Thai but I’ve seen similar Thai dishes. I think the coconut ginger chicken has all the right elements, it has coconut milk, ginger, the right spices and as I said it certainly tastes Thai to me.
This recipe may scare you at first because it looks like it has a lot of ingredients, but it’s really not that difficult. I have all these spices because I love to try out different dishes from different cultures but I know that buying spices can get quite expensive. However, you don’t have to buy all these spices at once. What I did is every time I’d go grocery shopping I’d buy another bottle of a spice, so this way you don’t feel the cost as much. You can also buy these spices in bulk which would be a lot cheaper. Before you know it your cupboards will be full of spices.
This coconut ginger chicken dish did not dissapoint. It was so delicious and so flavorful. I’d definitely be making this again.
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
Coconut Ginger Chicken & Vegetables
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 inch cube of ginger minced
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 chicken breasts cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 can baby corn
- 1 can green beans
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- Combine ingredients from the spice blend together and set aside.
- In a stew pot heat the olive oil and melt the butter. Add the garlic, ginger and onion and stir well. Cook for a minute or so then add all the spices from the spice blend.
- Add chicken breast pieces and cook chicken on all sides until it's no longer pink.
- Add the can of coconut milk and the chicken broth to the pot, it should be enough to cover the chicken. Add more chicken broth if needed.
- Drain the corn cobs and green beans. Cut the corn cobs in half or thirds. Add beans and corn to the pot and stir. Whisk the cornstarch with a little bit of the broth from the pot and add to the chicken. You can add other vegetables of your choice.
- Cover the pot and cook for another 20 to 30 minutes, until chicken is cooked thoroughly.