This homemade ginger chicken is amazingly easy to make right at home, with a delicious spicy ginger sauce. You might like it more than the restaurant version.
You know when you have one of those days that you just crave something so bad, you’ll do anything to get it. Well today I was craving ginger chicken all day. I was busy all morning working away, so when hubs called me and asked if I wanted him to pick up some lunch for us, I immediately said ginger chicken. There’s this little Chinese restaurant in our subdivision that’s only 1 minute away from us and we love to get takeout from them when we’re in the mood for Chinese. So here I was all excited and called them to place my order in, so hubs can pick it up. Well no one answered, I called and called and nobody answered. When hubs went by there, they were closed.
Well I still wanted ginger chicken, so I remembered I had taken some chicken out to make something for dinner later and decided to make ginger chicken. So I did and craving taken care of.
The thing is I wanted to make it just like they have it at this little restaurant, they cut their chicken in long thin strips, the chicken strips are breaded and fried and then they’re drenched in this amazing spicy ginger sauce.
I used to be afraid of attempting Asian food at home, but after making a few dishes over the years, I realized it’s quite easy once you know the basic ingredients, there’s nothing to it. The sauce is amazingly simple using staple ingredients you probably have at home right now. The chicken is also easy to make, eggs, flour and some spices and seasoning. Now before you ask, the chicken is fried, I’m not sure it would work if you want to bake it because the breading might not crisp up like when you fry it, but you could definitely try, the flavors will be there, but it won’t look as “good” as fried. If you do want to bake the chicken and want it crisp, I would put it under the broiler for a couple minutes so it gets nice and golden and crisp. Might be worth a try.
But whether you fry this chicken or not, I’m pretty sure you’ll love it.
If you guys love this recipe, and most importantly make it yourselves, please let us know. Take a picture and tag it #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
- 1 1/2 lb chicken breast boneless and skinless and cut into thin long strips
- 2 eggs
- vegetable oil for frying
- sesame seeds optional
- green onions chopped, optional
For chicken breading
- Whisk the eggs in a shallow plate. In another shallow plate whisk together all the breading ingredients.
- Dip the chicken pieces in the egg wash then dredge them through the flour and make sure each piece is fully coated in flour.
- Fill a Dutch oven or a deep frying pan with vegetable oil, about 1 1/2 inches deep and heat. When the oil is hot, add chicken to the pan, a few at a time, and fry it for about 3 or 4 minutes until it's golden brown, make sure the chicken is cooked inside. Repeat this until all the chicken is fried.
- To make the sauce whisk all the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl. Drizzle the sauce over the chicken. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions if preferred.
More delicious recipes from my kitchen