This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Shredded Chicken with Celery – the tender chicken breast contrasts with the crunchy texture of the celery, and the red chilies add color and flavor.
I have had this huge Chinese cooking book called Chinese: The Essence of Asian Cooking, for a very long time, probably close to 10 years now. Every once in awhile I open it and stare at the pretty pictures of delicious Chinese dishes and get overwhelmed by the number of the ingredients or the complexity of the dish. But among those complex dishes I came across today’s recipe, Shredded Chicken with Celery.
I’m not a big fan of celery, and I was never one of those people that could just eat raw celery, but even I know that celery is good for you and I decided to give this recipe a try, mostly because it looked really great in the picture. By the way, some benefits of celery include high amounts of vitamin C to promote a healthy immune system, it can lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and it contains coumarins which have been shown to be effective in the prevention of cancer. So that alone should convince us to eat more celery.
Oh well, at least cooked anyway, because I can’t eat raw celery. Maybe if you forced me.
This recipe looked easy enough and it called for ingredients that I happened to have. I mean look at the main ingredients, chicken and celery. Pretty much everyone’s got that in their fridge.
Well I’m really glad I made this, it was so good, it was spicy from the chilies, it had the great sesame oil flavor that I love so much, it was crunchy from the celery, I loved it.
It was also a great lunch today.
Looking for more recipes? Follow on…
Shredded Chicken with Celery
- 3 chicken breasts boneless and skinless
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg white beaten
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 3 celery stalks cut into fine strips
- 1 or 2 red chilies seeded and cut into fine strips
- 1 green onion cut into fine strips
- few strips of fresh ginger cut into fine strips
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp white wine
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Using a sharp knife, thinly shred the chicken. In a bowl, mix together a pinch of salt, the egg white and the cornstarch. Stir in the chicken.
- Heat the peanut oil in a preheated wok. Add the chicken and stir to separate the shreds. When the chicken turns white, remove with a strainer and drain. Keep warm.
- Add the celery, chilies, green onion and ginger to the wok and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the chicken, remaining salt, sugar and white wine. Cook for 1 minute, then add the sesame oil and stir.
- Serve hot.