Pumpkin Sweet Rolls with Cranberries, Pecans and Caramel Cream Cheese Icing – I think that pretty much says it all! Perfect for breakfast.
That’s a mouthful, eh?
No pun intended! I just felt that I needed to get pretty much all the ingredients listed in the title of these rolls, because it is very important. It’s very important for you to realize all the good things in these rolls. Lots of great and delicious ingredients.
These would be perfect for Thanksgiving morning. Don’t look at me that way, Thanksgiving here in Canada is only a month away. I know it’s a little over a couple months for Thanksgiving in the US but you know what, you don’t have to wait for Thanksgiving to make these rolls. You know why? Because they are incredible. And that icing, oh that icing, don’t know what to tell you. You know I love cinnamon rolls, but these rolls here are right up there with my cinnabons. If I had to pick a favorite, I just couldn’t.
The dough is so easy to make, basically you just throw all the ingredients in your mixer, mix and let it rise. As for the filling, well if you don’t like dried cranberries then just use raisins, or nothing, just the brown sugar and butter and don’t forget that icing. That icing is only 2 ingredients, caramel dip and cream cheese. Who knew that when you mix these two together you’d get this crazy and delicious icing. And you know what’s even better, the next day, just pop one in the microwave with some icing, for about 30 seconds to a minute, and the icing melts and the filling gets all gooey and … I’ll stop now because I’m starting to salivate and I don’t have anymore rolls.
And look at that pretty color, aren’t they cute?
- ¼ cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice
- 1 tsp salt
- 3½ to 4 cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice
- ¼ cup cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup caramel dip
- In the bowl of your mixer add the water, yeast and the teaspoon of sugar, stir and let it sit for about 10 minutes until yeast has dissolved and it has become foamy.
- Add the brown sugar, eggs, butter, sour cream, pumpkin puree, pumpkin spice, salt and the flour and mix until well incorporated. Add additional flour as necessary. The dough should be fairly soft.
- Butter or oil a large bowl and place the dough in there, cover it with foil and let sit in a warm place until it doubles in size, about an hour. Usually I turn the oven on to 200 F degrees for 1 minute, then turn off the oven and place the bowl in the oven and let it rise in the warm oven, it speeds up the rising process.
- After the dough has doubled in size, preheat the oven to 375 F degrees. You will need a large baking sheet for this.
- Mix the brown sugar with the cinnamon and pumpkin spice.
- Turn the dough onto your floured surface and roll it out so that it's about 24 inches by 16 inches and about ½ inch in thickness. Brush the dough with the melted butter and sprinkle with the brown sugar evenly over the dough. Top with pecans and cranberries. Working carefully, from the long edge, roll the dough down to the bottom edge.
- Carefully cut the roll into 12 equal size rolls, so the easiest is to cut the roll in half then cut each half in half and then each quarter in 3 so you end up with 12 equal size rolls. Transfer the rolls onto the baking sheet, wrap with plastic wrap and let rise for another 20 minutes.
- Bake in the oven until golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.
- While the rolls are baking whisk the cream cheese with the caramel dip together and restrain yourself from eating the whole thing.
- Top the buns with the icing and enjoy.