This lemon yogurt cake is simple to make, super moist and lots of lemon flavor. If you love lemons and lemony desserts, then you’ll love this delicious cake.
Last summer I went with my sister to this cute Italian store that had amazing kitchen things. Well as you can imagine, this kind of store is a food blogger’s dream. She couldn’t get me out of there. But this is where I found this cute and funny shaped cake pan. Since then I’ve been waiting for a special recipe to use it.
So I’ve been wanting to make a lemon yogurt cake for the longest time, it’s one of my favorite cakes, it’s light, it’s lemony, and it’s versatile. You can serve it with fruits, whipped cream, a lemon glaze, chocolate syrup, whatever you can think of. I decided to serve mine with berries and give it a light sprinkle of powdered sugar. What a delicious little cake.
My picky husband, as usual complained at first before he tried it, saying it’s too simple and not his kind of cake, until he took a bite of it, and got a burst of that lemon flavor, then he was sold. You can’t stop at just one slice, it’s a very addicting cake. Oh well, that’s my problem with any cake, but that’s another story.
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup plain yogurt, I used greek yogurt, oikos
- 1⅓ cups sugar, divided
- 3 eggs
- zest from 1 lemon
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 F degrees.
- Grease a loaf pan with butter or cooking spray. Line the bottom with parchment paper. Grease and flour the pan.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt into 1 bowl. In another bowl, whisk together the yogurt, 1 cup sugar, the eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla. Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. With a rubber spatula, fold the vegetable oil into the batter, making sure it's all incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes, or until a cake tester placed in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, cook the ⅓ cup lemon juice and remaining ⅓ cup sugar in a small pan until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear. Set aside.
- When the cake is done, allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Carefully place on a baking rack over a sheet pan. While the cake is still warm, pour the lemon-sugar mixture over the cake and allow it to soak in.
- Let cool before serving. Sprinkle some powdered sugar over the top or serve with berries.(optional)