Yuletide Coconut Cherry Cookies – crispy on the outside, tender on the inside. The perfect cookies for a holiday party!
Whew! I’m so glad it’s the weekend, it’s been a crazy busy week. I’ve been juggling work, Christmas shopping, grocery shopping, blogging, and of course planning for the holidays. And the weather has not helped at all, it’s been cold and miserable. I’m just glad it’s the weekend and I don’t have much planned besides spending time with my husband and my beagle and baking while listening to Christmas carols or watching Christmas movies. It’s going to be a fun weekend, my kind of weekend around this time of year. The tree is done, so all I have to do is make some mulled wine, wrap some Christmas presents and have a good time.
It’s day 4 already of Christmas cookies! I really hope I’m inspiring some of you to make some of these great recipes I’m sharing with you, you will really enjoy them. I have to tell you all the cookies I made are gone already so I need to make more, which is fine by me.
Today’s cookies are these adorable and most delicious yuletide coconut cherry cookies. The cookies are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, they’re made with cream cheese and they’re rolled in coconut flakes and topped with a yummy maraschino cherry. These cookies were among the first to disappear. They look very festive and are the perfect Christmas cookie!
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 3 oz cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ tsp almond extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- ¾ cup coconut flakes
- 15 red and/or green maraschino cherries, cut in half
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter, cream cheese and sugar until well blended, 1 to 2 minutes. Beat in almond extract.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls; roll in coconut flakes. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Immediately press a cherry half into the center of each cookie. Remove to wire racks to cool.