Last updated on December 6th, 2018 at 05:19 pm
Classic Shortbread Cookies made with only takes 3 ingredients, mouthwatering, buttery and melt in your mouth delicious. A classic holiday cookie, made two ways!
Let the baking begin!
I love this time of year. I get to bake lots of cookies and share it with all my friends and family. Baking around the holidays is so nostalgic for me. I love to bake in my kitchen as I listen to Christmas music. Sometimes the same song over and over, because I have a handful of Christmas songs that I absolutely love or simply watch Christmas movies.
I got this recipe years ago from a friend of mine who got it from her mom, so I know this recipe works as it’s been made over and over again over the years. I, myself, make every single year around the holidays, multiple times and it’s one of my family’s favorite cookie recipes now.
These shortbread cookies are simply the best around. Your house will smell incredible, I couldn’t wait till they came out of the oven, just desperately needed to put one in my mouth as soon as possible.
These cookies are great with a glass of milk, and I personally love them with my coffee in the morning. That’s my kind of breakfast, a yummy cookie and a good cup of joe.
But let’s face it, who can have just one cookie? You need to have at least a couple cookies, and I usually do.
HOW TO MAKE SHORTBREAD COOKIES
This simple recipe for classic shortbread cookies calls for only 3 ingredients my friends, only 3 ingredients and you get to have the most delectable, buttery and sweet shortbread cookie you’ll ever have in your life. We’re talking butter, sugar and flour, that’s all!
And if you’re really brave, unlike me right now, dip them in some melted chocolate, that’s my husband’s way of eating them. Are you with me?
Or, simply drizzle some caramel sauce, or chocolate sauce, or a light dusting of powdered sugar. And dip, dip in your coffee, or tea, or even hot cocoa. I think I need to go downstairs, I have an appointment with my cookies.
CAN YOU FREEZE SHORTBREAD COOKIES
Yes, absolutely! These cookies freeze incredibly well. To freeze, place shortbread cookies in an airtight container and place in the freezer for up to 3 months.
CRAVING MORE COOKIES? TRY THESE:
- Lemon Shortbread Cookies
- Chocolate Sugar Cookies
- Thumbprint Cookies
- Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies
- Chocolate Pecan Pie Cookies
Classic Shortbread Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups butter salted and softened at room temperature (3 sticks or 12 oz)
- 1 cup icing sugar same as confectioner sugar or powdered sugar (4.4 oz)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (13.2 oz)
- Preheat oven to 325 F degrees.
- Add the butter to a large bowl and blend it until smooth using an electric mixer set at medium speed for about 30 seconds.
- Add the icing sugar and continue mixing until well incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and combine thoroughly.
- Add flour and mix at low speed until well blended. The mixture will be crumbled and soft.
- Pat dough into an ungreased cookie sheet, lined with parchment paper, with the parchment paper hanging off the sides to make it easy to lift out the cookies. Alternatively you can roll out the dough so that it's about 1/4 of an inch in thickness, you can knead it a bit just so that the dough comes together, but don't overwork it, then cut into your desired shape.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until just done (slightly golden in color). Do not let them get brown. Remove from the oven. If using a cookie sheet, lift out the cookies from the sheet using the parchment paper and cut into desired shapes. Finish cooling the cookies on a rack.
- Because I'm using salted butter there's no need to add salt to the recipe, if you only have unsalted butter, add about 1/4 tsp salt to the recipe.
- I used this shortbread cookie cutter.
- For the video I divided the dough in half and used one half in an 8x8 inch baking pan lined with parchment paper, and rolled the rest to use with the cookie cutter.
- This recipe will yield about 36 cookies.
- To freeze, place shortbread cookies in an airtight container and place in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.