This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These Chocolate Sugar Cookies are so simple to make and melt in your mouth delicious! They go perfect with a good cup of coffee or tea and are a great holiday cookie!
December is here, so guess what time it is! That’s right, it’s baking cookies time. Totally my favorite time of the year because I get to listen to Christmas music, watch tons of Christmas movies and bake all the cookies that I love. It’s pure heaven!
Though if I may be honest with you I started at the beginning of November, just saying. The sad thing is that I am not putting up a Christmas tree this year because we are moving in a few months and the tree and Christmas decorations are all packed up and gone to storage.
What’s a girl to do? BAKE! BAKE AGAIN! BAKE SOME MORE!
Chocolate Sugar Cookies
I bought this adorable cookie cutter a few years ago when we went to Canmore, there were so many cute little kitchen shops, I was in heaven. It was hard to keep me from buying everything. I had to focus and only buy the things that stood out to me, something out of the ordinary. And this little cookie cutter begged me to buy it.
I wanted to make the perfect cookies with it. I thought perhaps a shortbread cookie would be great, but then I remembered these chocolate cookies and I realized that these cookies are the perfect recipe for this cookie cutter. Ever since then I only use it for these chocolate sugar cookies. It’s like it was meant to be.
What Are Chocolate Sugar Cookies
A sugar cookie is a cookie where the main ingredients are sugar, flour, butter, eggs, vanilla and baking powder or baking soda. A chocolate sugar cookie is the same thing but with cocoa powder in it.
How to Make the Best Chocolate Sugar Cookies
Cookies are super easy to make. Always start by preheating your oven first because it really doesn’t take long at all to make the cookie dough. Also, line a couple baking sheets with parchment paper so that once your cookie dough is done, they’re all ready for you.
Prepare all your ingredients before starting to make the cookie dough. This way it’s easy to just add the ingredients as needed.
This is such an easy cookie recipe, the only thing is you need to have some patience to roll out the cookie dough and cut out the cookies. But if you’re good for patience, then these cookies are so worth it. Just put on some Christmas music, you’ll be fine.
These cookies have the perfect texture, they do not crumble as you bite into them, they are chocolaty but simple, and they are perfect with a good cup of coffee.
Can You Freeze Chocolate Sugar Cookies
Absolutely! These cookies are perfect for freezing. Place the sugar cookies in an airtight container and then place them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Looking for More Christmas Cookies? Try These:
- Mexican Wedding Cookies
- Thumbprint cookies
- Classic Shortbread Cookies
- Lemon Thumbprint Cookies
- Chocolate Rumballs
- Cherry Pecan Rugelach
- In a bowl whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your mixer, add the rest of the ingredients and mix until smooth, I mixed mine about 3 minutes. Add the flour mixture in batches about 1/3 at a time and mix.
- Transfer the dough to a big piece of plastic wrap and gently knead it until it forms a ball. Wrap the cookie dough and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a couple baking sheets with parchment paper.
- I found it easier to cut the dough in 4 pieces and roll out each piece at a time so that it’s about 1/4 of an inch in thickness. Cut the cookies with your favorite cookie cutter.
- Place the cookies onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for about 9 to 11 minutes, just until the edges are firm and the center still slightly soft. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Transfer to a rack and cool. If you wish you can sprinkle them with icing sugar.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.