These Lemon Thumbprint Cookies are the perfect holiday cookies. Cookie dough balls are coated in walnuts then filled with lemon curd. This citrusy twist on an old fashioned cookie is incredibly delicious!
It’s the 9th day of our Tasty Treats and I’m almost sad that this is coming to an end, I’ll miss all the baking and all the wonderful smells in my home. However, we still have a few days, and I think I’ve saved my best for these last few days. I have to tell you guys again how much I’ve enjoyed reading about your favorite Christmas traditions. You guys have been great, you’ve left comments here and all over my social media. Seriously, you’ve made my Christmas and I loved reading all your stories.
Thumbprint cookies are one of my favorite cookies to make and to eat. They’re so much fun to make and so pretty. I love the fact that you can fill them with your favorite jelly, but this time I went with a lemon curd filling. I actually made my own lemon curd, but the store bought kind works just as well. I’ll have to share the recipe for my lemon curd with you at another time.
These lemon thumbprint cookies truly are for the lemon lovers out there, there’s lemon in the cookie and lots of lemon in the lemon curd, so definitely lemony! They’re also not a very sweet cookie, but you do get a bit of sweetness from the lemon curd.
These thumbprint cookies are also rolled through ground pecans which does give them a bit of crunchiness, which is my favorite part. I personally, love nuts in all cookies, but if you preferred to make these without the nuts you could. I would simply skip the part in step 5 where you have to roll them through the egg white, then pecans. You could also use different nuts, for example almonds would be great or even cashews.
I hope you give these thumbprint cookies a try because they’re incredibly good and they will look so adorable on your treat table. I’d love to hear from you guys as to what your favorite Christmas cookies are.
Check out some of the recent 12 Days of Taste Treats!
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
Lemon Thumbprint Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350 F degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. Place the ground pecans in a shallow plate.
- Add the butter, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla extract to the bowl of your mixer, and beat on medium using the paddle attachment until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, salt and continue beating until fully incorporated.
- Add the flour and continue mixing on low until fully incorporated.
- Roll the dough into 1 inch balls, then roll them through the egg white, then through the ground pecans. Place the balls on the prepared baking sheets, leaving about an 2 inches in between them. Using your thumb press little wells into the center of each cookie, sometimes I also use the bottom of a cork screw.
- Bake the cookies for 13 to 15 minutes or until the edges start to turn golden. Remove the baking sheets from the oven and allow cookies to cool on the sheets for about 5 minutes after which you can transfer them to a wire rack to allow them to cool completely.
- Place a small dollop of the lemon curd into the center of each cookie.
More delicious recipes from my kitchen