Christmas Morning Wife Saver – perfect casserole for Christmas morning made with ham and cheese and topped with cornflakes.
My gift to you for Christmas is one more amazing Christmas recipe. I certainly cannot take credit for this recipe, it’s one I heard from my friend and thought it sounded easy and perfect for Christmas morning or brunch.
Apparently this recipe is a Christmas classic, and it will become a tradition for me because it’s delicious and there are so many ways to personalize it and make it your own. For now I just wanted to try the basic recipe and next Christmas I’ll change it up a bit.
This recipe make about 12 very large servings, so there’s plenty to share with everyone. You’ll need a 9×13 baking dish for this with I sprayed with some olive oil cooking spray. You’ll need about 16 slices of bread, 8 for the bottom and 8 for the top. Start by layering the first 8 slices of bread to fit over the entire bottom of the dish. If you don’t want the crust, feel free to cut it off.
Next you can add your favorite ham, I used some delicious Mesquite turkey breast from the deli, but you can use ham, bacon, Canadian bacon, whatever you prefer.
Now you can add some good sharp cheddar cheese, you can use either shredded or slices. I just found it easier to use shredded cheese. Also I’m not using any exact measurement here, put as much as you want, if you like more cheese, then by all means, add more cheese.
Cover with the remaining 8 slices of bread, I also used another slice, which I cut it into small pieces to cover all the cheese.
In the next step you basically whisk the eggs together with the milk, chives, Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard, pepper and hot sauce. I used Sriracha sauce and I just used about a teaspoon, and while it wasn’t spicy at all I could still feel a bit of spice after I finished eating. Pour this whole mixture over the entire casserole and let it rest over night.
On Christmas morning, just brush it or pour some melted butter over the top and then top with some corn flakes or rice krispies, which ever you prefer.
Bake it for about an hour at 350 F degrees and your whole house will smell delicious and wake everyone up for breakfast.
This is a wonderful breakfast casserole. It’s prepared the night before so on Christmas morning you don’t have to worry about anything, except baking, eating and enjoying your time with family and friends.
- 16 slices bread, remove crusts if preferred
- 16 slices of ham, turkey, bacon, or Canadian bacon
- 1 to 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 6 large eggs
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ to 1 tsp dry mustard
- ¼ cup chives, chopped
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash hot sauce
- 3 cups whole milk
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1 cup corn flakes cereal
- Butter a 9x13 inch baking dish or spray with cooking oil.
- Cut and fit 8 slices of bread to fit over entire bottom of dish. Cover bread with slices of ham and sharp cheddar cheese. Cut and fit remaining 8 slices of bread to completely cover ham and cheese.
- Whisk eggs with black pepper in a bowl. Whisk dry mustard, chives, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce into eggs. Whisk in milk until egg mixture is smoothly combined. Pour egg mixture evenly over the casserole. Cover the dish and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pour melted butter evenly over the casserole and sprinkle corn flake crumbs over the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven until set and lightly browned, about 1 hour. Let casserole stand for 10 minutes before serving.