Delicious Pear and Chocolate Chip Muffins – these muffins are the perfect destination of any leftover pears.
I think summer is officially over here in Calgary. It feels like fall, leaves are falling, chilly air and as the weather is changing and getting cooler, people are starting to get sick. That’s the story at my work, and I happened to catch whatever is going around.
But anyway, on to happier things. I mentioned that we went to the farmer’s market last week and I bought a few beautiful pears, because I hadn’t eaten any in a long time. Well I forgot all about them, so when I looked at them today they were not looking very good. I didn’t want to throw them out though, I hate throwing food away, so I decided to make some muffins. There are all sort of banana muffins, why not pear muffins?
Well now there are, and to my surprise they turned out so delicious and moist and very chocolaty, because when you’re sick, there’s nothing that makes you feel better than chocolate. 🙂
Have I told you I have a new favorite store?
It’s Ikea! I love it, especially all the kitchen gadgets and dishes. So my husband and I went there today and look at the beautiful muffin pan that I got. I think this is more of a popover pan, but it’s great for muffins. Look how cute they are.
I bought the muffin liners there too. Back to the muffins. I wanted tall muffins, muffins that would rise higher than normal muffins I make. So this muffin pan helps, but there’s another trick to making higher muffins. The trick is in the batter first of all, the batter needs to be thicker than normal, so that it can rise. Second trick, is to preheat the oven at 450 F degrees and once you put the muffins in, turn the heat down to 375 F degrees. The higher heat in the beginning makes the muffins rise fast in the beginning of baking them.
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 pears peeled and diced
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 450 F degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together.
- In a separate bowl, mix the melted butter, egg, and sugar together. Add the pears and mix.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and either using a whisk or a wooden spoon mix everything but do not over mix. Add the chocolate chips and mix until the chocolate chips are well incorporated in the batter.
- If you're not using muffin liners, butter the muffin pan and then add about two tablespoons of the batter to each muffin cup. To make these muffins bigger, fill the muffin cups almost to the top.
- Place the muffin pan in the oven and reduce the heat to 375 F degrees.
- Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes.