I have to tell you I have been exhausted lately. I’ve been working on this project at work for the past year and a half and it’s finally coming to fruition in the next couple months, and I couldn’t be any happier. I just want it over and done with. I want to do something else. Thank God I have this blog because I feel that this blog is what keeps me sane. And the husband of course.
It’s not that my job is physical, quite the contrary, I work in IT so I have an office job. I am mentally exhausted when I come home, brain dead, a zombie. No offense to any zombies out there. This is why I say all the time that baking relaxes me. Just being in my kitchen making some delicious dessert calms me down and makes me happy.
This is how this dessert was born. Seriously though this dessert requires no baking, no cooking, pretty much just assembly. Couldn’t get any easier. I’m all about easy. After an exhausting day at the office I don’t want to slave in the kitchen for hours. I want to make something that’s delicious and fun to make.
And let me tell you about delicious. The base for this dessert is made with vanilla wafers. Did I ever tell you how much I love vanilla wafers? OMG! Love them! Now in all fairness this dessert is very similar to my sex in a pan dessert. Very similar, the crust is a bit different, we have bananas and no chocolate layer. Bananas!! That tells me this dessert is healthy. See how I rationalize things? Oh and that’s not all, I used fat free and sugar free vanilla pudding, and fat free Philadelphia cream cheese, so there! Beat that! Oh wait, and fat free Cool Whip! Seriously, how can you say no to this “healthy” dessert. This dessert should be the 8th wonder of the world. Hmm … maybe that’s what I should have called it.
- 1 cup vanilla wafers, crushed
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- ½ pkg (4 oz or 125 g) low fat Philadelphia cream cheese
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup fat free Cool Whip
- 2 pkgs fat free sugar free jell-o vanilla pudding (each package contains 4 servings, 1 oz (28 g) each package)
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups fat free Cool Whip
- 2 med bananas, sliced
- toffee bits or shaved chocolate
- You'll need about a cup of crushed vanilla wafers which you need to mix together with the 2 tbs butter. Press into the bottom of an 8x8 inch baking dish.Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Prepare the vanilla pudding with the 2 cups of milk. I used less milk then instructed on the package because I wanted a firmer pudding. Place the pudding in the fridge until ready to use.
- In a mixer combine the cream cheese, icing sugar and mix until well combined. Fold in the 1 cup of Cool Whip.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture carefully over the crust. Arrange the banana slices over the cream cheese mixture.
- Pour the pudding over the bananas. I did not use all my pudding, I had about ¾ cups left, but it's up to you if you use the entire pudding.
- Top with remaining 2 cups of Cool Whip and sprinkle with toffee bits or shaved chocolate.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 to 3 hours. Cut in pieces then serve.