Steak Fry Bread Tacos – a delicious and fun meal to enjoy with your family! Fry bread topped with yummy flank steak, cheese, tomatoes, and green onions.
So check this out.
These steak fry bread tacos are so good you’ll keep dreaming about them. I don’t know what it is about them, the fried bread, the yummy steak or all that cheese. Whatever it is, when you put all these yummy ingredients together, something magical happens.
You get all happy and giddy and can’t stop eating this, you start licking your fingers and grab every crumb that falls and stuff it back in your mouth. I know it may sound gross, but trust me here, these tacos are going to make you sing and your tummy will thank you.
I actually made the dough myself, I used my easy pizza dough recipe which you can’t go wrong with, cut it in half though, unless you want to make enough of these tacos to feed your neighbours. However, if you don’t want to make your own dough, you could use frozen dinner rolls dough, making this much quicker.
Now I have to tell you about fried bread. If you’ve never had some before, OMG, it’s so good. Check out this recipe of fried dough filled with feta cheese, if you’ve never tried any type of fried dough, I strongly strongly urge you to go in your kitchen right now and make some. I can eat it plain, with yogurt, with cheese, as tacos as in this recipe, you can stuff it with meat, you can stuff it literally with anything and make an entire meal out of it. It’s just that good!
But what about that flank steak you ask. Well that’s just as yummy. This is how I made it. I rubbed all the spices on the steak and grilled it first to medium rare, just because it was nice outside and thought this would be easier. You could use your broiler though to cook it. Then I cut it into thin slices, poured the taco sauce over it and tossed the steak pieces to be fully covered in the sauce. Use more taco sauce then suggested if you prefer. And that’s that, you have yummy steak, over yummy fried bread, topped with cheese and some veggies.
Do you see where I’m going here? It’s WIN WIN! Honestly I don’t know why you’re still reading this, and didn’t run to the kitchen yet to make these tacos.
- ¾ to 1 cup warm water
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 cups flour
- ½ package yeast (2¼ tsp in a pkg)
- 1 flank steak
- ½ cup taco sauce
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chile powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Mozzarella cheese
- green onions
- oil for frying bread
- To make the steak mix all the spices together, excluding the taco sauce, and rub over the flank steak on both sides. Grill the steak to your preference, I grilled mine to medium rare. After it's grilled, cover it with aluminum foil and let it rest for about 10 minutes, during which time you can make the dough.
- Pour the yeast over the warm water in a small bowl.
- In the bowl of your mixer, add the flour and salt and mix. Add the olive oil and using the dough hook, mix for about a min.
- Add the yeast mixture to the flour mixture and mix until well incorporated. You can probably get about 6 to 8 tacos out of this dough, so if you're not going to fry all of them, you can freeze half. Cut the dough into about 6 or 8 equal pieces, depending on how big you want each taco and roll each piece with a rolling pin so that it's about ¼ of an inch in thickness.
- In a large frying pan heat enough vegetable oil so that it's ½ inch deep. Fry 1 or 2 of the rolled out dough pieces, depending on how big your frying pan is. Fry until golden on both sides. When done place over paper towels.
- While the dough is frying, cut the steak into thin slices. Place steak into a bowl and pour taco sauce over and toss so that each piece is fully coated. If you need more sauce, feel free to add more.
- To serve, top each piece of fried bread with steak, freshly shredded mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, green onions and cilantro.