Tonight I was in the mood for some chicken cacciatore. I don’t make this very often, primarily for the reason that my husband is not a fan of rice or pasta, but I wanted some so I made some. It turned out great, and I loved it and although my husband complained about eating rice and kept muttering under his breath how he’d rather be eating some pork, he polished his plate.
I decided to use some chicken wings and thighs I had and cut them in half and clipped the tips off and I added some salt and pepper to them.
Add some olive oil and butter to a skillet and turn the heat to medium high. Coat the chicken with flour on both sides.
Next add the chicken to the hot oil and butter. While the chicken is frying I cut up the veggies, so an onion, garlic, and peppers. I used a red pepper and a yellow pepper though I would have preferred a green but that’s all I had in the fridge.
Turn the chicken over so that it fries on the other side. It doesn’t have to be cooked thoroughly because we’re also going to bake this in the oven later. For this I’m also using about a couple cups of chopped mushrooms, you can also use a can of mushrooms instead, and I’m also using a can of diced tomatoes. Take the chicken out of the skillet and place in a plate, while we prepare the veggies.
In the same skillet where you fried the chicken add all the onion, garlic, peppers and mushrooms. At the same time I also add the spices and let this cook for a couple minutes.
Next I added the wine, a cup or so, and I drank a glass or so, and add the tomatoes as well. Cook for a few more minutes then add the chicken as well. It’s already beginning to look delicious. But now bake it in the oven for about 45 min to an hour at 400 F degrees.
I used rice this time for this but you can use pasta if you want. Yum yum yum!
- 1½ lb chicken wings
- 1 medium onion juliened
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 yellow pepper chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms, chopped or 1 can of canned mushrooms
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of wine
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- rice or penne noodles
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees.
- Salt and pepper the chicken and dredge it in flour. In a skillet heat the oil and butter and add the chicken to it.
- Fry the chicken on both sides. Remove the chicken from the skillet and add the vegetables to the skillet and cook for a couple minutes. Add the wine and spices and cook for a couple more minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes and stir well and cook for 5 more minutes, at which point you can add the chicken back to the pot.
- Cover the skillet and place it in the oven and bake it for 45 minutes to an hour.
- In the meantime, cook the noodles or the rice.
- Pour the chicken and veggies over the rice and enjoy.