Roasted Red Pepper and Pecan Pesto Penne – a delicious pesto sauce made with roasted red pepper and pecans over penne. A very simple pasta dish ready in under 30 minutes.
I must be in some serious need of comfort food this week because all I can think and dream about is creamy cheesy pasta. But on a lazy summer night, this penne is simply perfect. You can make the pesto in 5 minutes, boil the pasta in another 10 minutes or so, and put it all together, and I’m being generous when I say you can have this speedy pasta in under 30 minutes, more like 20 minutes. Which means this pesto penne is perfect for those nights when you desperately need your share of comfort food, and pronto.
Not that that’s me, by any means. Stress? What’s that? The funny thing is that we are our biggest stress creators, we ourselves make our life a living hell. As much as I say to myself that I want a stress free life, I always take on more work than I can handle. Oh well, c’est la vie, no?
Thankfully we have food to make us happy, if only temporary. Not that food is the way to deal with stress by any means, but sometimes we just can’t help ourselves.
But nothing beats a bowl of super creamy and cheesy penne with bacon, nonetheless! This pesto penne right here is pure comfort. I’m a big fan of roasted red peppers, and most of the time I’ll just eat them like that alongside my meal, that’s how much I love them. But I also love making this pesto with roasted red peppers because the flavour of this pesto is just so rich and delicious. You’ve got pecans, Parmesan cheese, basil and roasted red pepper, you know it’s gotta be good.
People, this is one damn good recipe no matter how you look at it. Please make it and then come back and tell me how much you really loved it, because I know you will. Don’t even ask me for nutritional information, because this penne is just not about that!
- 12 oz penne pasta
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 cup pecans
- ½ cup fresh basil
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 cup roasted red peppers (1 small jar)
- ½ cup to 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 slices bacon, fried or leftover chicken
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil pasta according to package instructions.
- Fry bacon, crumble it up and set aside. You can also use shredded chicken or turkey instead of bacon.
- In a food processor add pecans, garlic, basil, Parmesan cheese, olive oil and roasted red peppers. Pulse until everything together until it turns into a paste. In a sauce pan, add the roasted red pepper paste and start with ½ cup of heavy cream. Cook over medium heat until it starts to boil; add mozzarella cheese and remainder ½ cup of heavy cream if sauce is too thick. Cook until cheese melts then add the penne pasta and bacon and toss everything together.
- Serve with some extra grated Parmesan cheese on top.
From the Jo Cooks recipe archive originally posted December 26, 2012. Original picture below: