Roasted Red Pepper and Pecan Pesto Penne – simple and delicious dinner in 30 minutes.
I hope everyone’s had a very merry Christmas, just as I did with my family. It was wonderful, just sad that it’s now over.
Today is Boxing Day in Canada, the biggest shopping day of the year here. For the first time in a few years I actually went shopping on Boxing Day, mostly because my sister dragged me out, I mean it’s -25 Celsius here, and that’s pretty cold if you ask me. Anyway to make a long story short, long day, tiring and cold. I was not in the mood to cook for hours so I decided on a quick pasta dish that took me no more than half hour.
This pasta dish would go great with left over turkey or chicken. I used bacon though, as I didn’t have turkey or chicken. Let me just tell you I love roasted red peppers, I would eat them with any dish. For a change I decided to make a pesto from roasted red peppers and pecans, because I had lots of pecans left over that I bought for all my baking. Roasted red peppers and pecans make a great pesto, totally yummy. Not to mention the color of this pesto is gorgeous, simply a wonderful meal and it goes great with a glass of good white wine too.
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 cup pecans
- ½ cup fresh basil
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 cup roasted red peppers (1 small jar)
- ½ cup to 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 slices bacon, cooked or leftover chicken/turkey
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil pasta according to package instructions.
- Fry bacon, crumble it up and set aside. You can also use shredded chicken or turkey instead of bacon.
- In a food processor add pecans, garlic, basil, Parmesan cheese, olive oil and roasted red peppers. Pulse until everything together until it turns into a paste. In a sauce pan, add the roasted red pepper paste and start with ½ cup of heavy cream. Cook over medium heat until it starts to boil; add mozzarella cheese and remainder ½ cup of heavy cream if sauce is too thick. Cook until cheese melts then add the penne pasta and bacon and toss everything together.
- Serve with some extra grated Parmesan cheese on top.