Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese – these beauties are all melty inside and oozing with gooey cheese and they also pack some heat. You should try one.
Since I made the screaming stuffed jalapeno poppers the other day, I had a few jalapeno peppers left. So since I’ve been so brave and had one of the stuffed jalapeno poppers, I thought I’d graduated to these jalapeno popper grilled cheese sandwiches.
I know what you’re thinking, I’m really brave, but I’m special that way. But don’t worry, I did remove the seeds from the peppers so a lot of the heat left with the seeds. But nonetheless there was plenty of heat left. So as before my fingers burned after I was done cleaning these peppers, and as usual I don’t listen to my own advice and didn’t wear gloves. One of these days I’ll learn my lesson.
Look at these peppers though, aren’t they gorgeous, look at that color! Just beautiful!
The other beauty to these grilled cheese sandwiches, is the mascarpone cheese. I mean have you ever had mascarpone cheese on a grilled cheese sandwich? It’s amazing. The grilled cheese sandwich is pretty simple, if you think about it, but that is the beauty of these sandwiches, the simplicity of them. But you add one more precious ingredient like jalapenos and you’ve got yourself a winner.
I also have to admit that the sandwiches are not too hot either, not sure if it’s because the jalapenos are grilled and the skin removed, but they do not pack as much heat as I would have expected. Which makes me very happy. I could actually eat a whole sandwich and enjoy it. But don’t get me wrong, there’s still plenty of heat there.
Look at those babies, they are oozing with gooey cheese. I know you want one! So here’s the recipe, go make one. )
- 6 jalapenos, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup shredded aged Cheddar
- 8 slices country white bread
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- Preheat the oven to 425 F degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss the jalapenos with 1 tablespoon olive oil, some salt and pepper and lay skin-side up on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until the skin is blistered, 10 to15 minutes. Place in a plastic baggie for about 5 minutes loosen the skin. Pull off the skin, remove the majority of seeds and ribs, and slice. Set aside.
- Spread the mascarpone on 4 slices of bread and divide the cheddar among the other 4 slices. Divide the sliced jalapenos among the 4 sandwiches. Close, and butter both sides of the bread.
- Heat half of the remaining oil on a flat griddle over medium heat. Grill one side of the sandwiches until golden. Remove, heat the remaining oil and repeat with the second side until golden and the insides are all melty and gooey.