Yummy Lemon Rice and Pea Soup with Chicken – perfect for a cold winter day or even for a sore throat! It’s lemony and delicious!
Happy Canada Day and 4th of July everyone! I love long weekends, don’t you. I don’t like it, however, when I have a sore throat, and today was one of those days, in July I get a sore throat. But I have the perfect remedy for that. This lemon rice and pea soup with chicken will cure anyone, especially with a bit of hot sauce in it, which of course is optional.
This soup is so good, good for a cold winter day or when you just need it because you’re sick. It’s very lemony, and delicious. I love the original Greek lemon rice soup, so this one is just another variation of that.
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 cup peas
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- salt and pepper to taste
- juice from 2 lemons
- hot sauce (optional)
- chives for garnish
- Chop the onion and cut the chicken in small pieces.
- In a soup pot, heat the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and saute, but do not brown, only saute until the onion is translucent.
- Add the chicken to the onion and cook the chicken a bit until it's white.
- Add a cup of rice to the pot and then the chicken broth and water.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, lemon juice, and hot sauce if preferred.
- Cook the soup until the rice is done, about 15 to 20 mins.
- Add the peas and cook for a couple more minutes.
- Serve hot with chives for garnish.