Last updated on April 26th, 2018 at 08:29 pm
This Creamy Loaded Potato Soup is smooth, creamy, and delicious. It can only be described as serious comfort food in a bowl. A simple recipe perfect for a cold day.
I think I’m going through a soup phase, if there even is such a thing. I’ve been making a lot of soups lately and I have to admit that creamy soups are my favorite. They’re just so comforting and delicious. I know what you’re thinking that creamy soups aren’t that good for you, but check this soup out, it’s only 474 calories a serving, so not too shabby my friends.
It must be the weather, although it’s still pretty warm here, it looks like fall so I’m in winter mode already waiting for the snow any day now. But this soup here, this soup embodies everything I love about baked potatoes, the cheese and the bacon, oh yeah the bacon. So how can you go wrong here? You can’t!
This soup is so easy to make because we cook the potatoes before, you can either choose to bake them, or just boil them like I did, it was faster and I wanted a quick soup. While the potatoes are cooking, you can work on frying the bacon, literally my favorite part. For things like this I like to chop up my bacon first then fry it. Do you know how hard it is to fry bacon with a dog on a low protein diet around you? Who ever came up with low protein diet for dogs, just silly if you ask me.
What makes this soup delicious is the fact that we use bacon fat instead of oil. You have to save a couple tablespoons of that bacon fat to cook the onion and garlic in, this just adds more flavor to the soup. Then the rest is easy, add the heavy cream and chicken soup, potatoes, season and let it cook. Not very difficult at all. And when you serve it, just make sure you load it up with cheese, bacon and green onions. Nothing better!
Looking for more delicious soups? Try these:
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Creamy Loaded Potato Soup
- 6 medium potatoes cut into cubes and cooked
- 8 slices bacon thick cut
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 1 tsp basil dried
- 1 tsp oregano dried
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper or to taste
- cheddar cheese
- green onions
- Start by baking or cooking the potatoes. I cut mine into small cubes and boiled them for about 15 minutes until they were fork tender.
- Next cook the bacon until crisp, then crumble into small pieces or cut it first into small pieces then fry. Reserve 2 tbsp of the rendered bacon fat.
- In a large Dutch Oven or soup pot add the bacon fat and onion; cook the onion until soft and translucent, should take about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Stir in the flour, then start adding the liquid. I usually add it a cup at a time, whisking the flour to make sure there are no lumps, until you finish adding the heavy cream and chicken broth.
- Add the dry basil, dry oregano and season with salt and pepper. Add the cooked potatoes and cook for another 10 minutes over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. The soup should thicken nicely.
- Top with cheddar cheese, bacon and green onions before serving.