Last updated on September 24th, 2018 at 04:07 pm
This Banana Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake is a tasty new take on your regular banana bread. Loaded with walnuts and chocolate chips and a brown sugar cinnamon filling, this coffee cake won’t let you down!
You know what my favorite breakfast is? A slice of coffee cake with my coffee. I don’t ask for much, just a good slice of cake and a good cup of coffee. This banana chocolate chip coffee cake is perfect for my kind of breakfast. I don’t know what it is but lately all I want to do is make cakes because I crave cakes. My dreams are made of cakes. Hmm…weird, I know. I should have been a baker.
Anyway, what do you do when you have lots of over ripened bananas? Well you can make some classic Banana Bread, or spice it up and make banana chocolate chip coffee cake, of course. My pantry is overflowing with baking goods, so I always have lots of chocolate chips and everything I ever require to make a good cake with. If you don’t, if you’re not obsessed with your pantry like me, don’t worry because the ingredients in this cake are not fancy, you probably already have everything you need.
To make myself feel better for eating cake I “tried” as much as possible to make this cake “healthier”. I know those two words together, healthy and cake, yeah it’s sacrilegious. But I know I always tell you guys to replace the oil or butter in a cake or quick bread with applesauce because you really won’t taste the difference, so this time that’s what I did with this cake. And look, it’s still super moist, still freaking delicious so why not. You won’t even miss the oil, trust me.
I also cut down the sugar a bit, I only used a cup in this huge cake and this cake is huge. But I didn’t feel more than a cup of sugar is necessary since there’s a brown sugar with cinnamon and walnuts filling throughout the cake. You see what I’m saying? Oh and if that’s not enough for you, did I mention the cake is glazed too with a really easy 3 ingredient glaze.
Yeah, this cake is all that and a bag of chips. Do people still use that phrase? Am I not cool anymore? I bet if you have a slice of my cake you’ll think I’m super cool. I know you will!
And hey, let’s face it. I wish you were all my neighbours (yes that’s how we spell neighbour in Canada) and would all come over and help me by taking this cake off my hands. It’s such a chore to eat it all. But one must do what one must do.
Would you like a bite?
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Banana Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake
For Cake Batter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 tsp cinnamon ground
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- Preheat your oven to 350 F degrees. Spray a 10 inch angel food cake pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, walnuts and chocolate chips.
- In another medium bowl mash the bananas using a fork or a potato masher. Add the sour cream, eggs, applesauce, vanilla extract and granulated sugar and whisk everything together.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the flour and using a spatula mix everything together.
- In another small bowl combine all the filling ingredients together.
- Spread 1/3 of the batter into the prepared cake pan. Sprinkle 1/3 of the filling over the batter and repeat 2 more times to finish the rest of the batter and filling.
- Place the cake pan in the oven and bake for about an hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool the cake in the pan for 10 minutes then remove and continue cooling on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze by whisking all the ingredients together in a small bowl, adding more milk if needed. The glaze should be smooth and thin enough to drizzle.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cake, cut into slices and serve.
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!