Cheese Pastries – If you love savory cheese pastries, you will love these beautiful pastries, with just a hint of blueberry jam in the middle.
I love anything with cheese in it, especially cheese pastries, pies, well anything that’s baked. I made these pastries savory, but I needed to put something in the middle so I decided to go with a little bit of blueberry jam. The rest of the pastry is savory and it’s just so good. I used feta and ricotta cheese in the filling and that’s all. I like mixing ricotta and feta together, because feta is very salty and ricotta is bland, so when you pair them together, they are perfect, which makes for a wonderful savory cheese pastry. The pastry dough itself is also very light and fluffy and goes wonderfully with the cheese.
Trust me you will surely impress your family and friends and will look like a real baker. This is about as fancy as I will normally get with my baking, so enjoy!
Looking for more recipes? Follow on…
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- 2/3 cup water lukewarm
- 1 cup feta cheese shredded
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 4 tbsp blueberry jam optional
- 1 egg for brushing
- In a small bowl, combine the water, sugar and yeast together and let it sit until the yeast bubbles.
- In another small bowl mix the egg and the butter.
- In the bowl of your mixer, add the flour, salt and mix. Add the butter/egg mixture and the yeast mixture and using the paddle attachment, mix it all together until everything is well incorporated. The dough will be fairly soft.
- Place the dough into an oiled bowl and rub some of the oil all over the dough. Let it rise in a warm place until it doubles in size.
- In the meantime combine the ricotta cheese and feta cheese together.
- Divide the dough into 4 pieces and roll each piece into a ball. Flatten each ball so that it’s about 4 inches in diameter. Place a quarter of the cheese mixture in the middle then fold up the sides of the dough to fully cover the cheese. Flatten the dough, so that it’s about 4 inches in diameter again. Using a knife cut the dough, leaving about one inch in the middle, making about 12 slits all the way around.
- Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.
- Let the pastries rise a bit for another 30 minutes.
- Brush the pastries with egg wash and add a tbsp of blueberry jam in the middle of each pastry.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, or until golden brown.