Apple Pie Cake – Is it pie or is it cake? It’s both! This sweet, cinnamon-y, moist pastry is a year round hit, no matter the season!
Pie or cake? Is this the eternal question in anyone else kitchen or just mine? Luckily through my own tireless efforts and much taste testing (a real grind I know) I have the answer to your dessert dilemma. This apple pie cake recipe combines the best of both worlds; soft spongy cake meets syrupy apple pie filling and the rest is history. Whether you have vanilla ice cream on hand or not, this is the sweet treat to end your day with.
I simply love this pie cake, that’s what I’ll call it from now on, pie cake. It’s so simple to make, and yes I did use a yellow cake mix just because this is supposed to be a quick cake, so I’m all about taking shortcuts during times like this. This pie cake has 3 layers, the yellow cake, the apples and the topping. It’s simply divine!
Ingredients In Apple Pie Cake
Be sure to check out my recipe card at the bottom of the page for more detailed measurements and instructions.
- Apples – I used Macintosh apples as they’re in season at the moment here in Canada, however any kind will do! Be sure to slice them thin and bite sized.
- Brown sugar – I used brown sugar for this recipe as I want to develop a nice dark color for my apple ‘filling’. It will also give a note of caramel to the dish.
- Lemon juice – This will prevent the sliced apples from oxidizing before they’re put in the oven, it also gives a nice tart note to the dish.
- Boxed yellow cake mix – This is meant to be a quick cake and you all know by now that when the time calls for it, I’m not shy about taking shortcuts. If gluten free is available feel free to use that instead.
- Water – This particular cake mix called for water but if yours calls for milk use that instead.
- Oil – A light flavorless oil, canola is always a good go to, is important for ensuring your cake turns out moist.
- Eggs – This will bind our batter.
- Flour – I used all purpose, gluten free flour will also work fine.
- Brown sugar – The molasses in the brown sugar will melt down in the oven, forming a beautiful thin crust of sugar over top of the cake.
- Salt – Say it with me now: every good dessert is only as good as it’s sugar to salt balance.
- Butter – As we want this topping to be crumbly, butter will be cut in with a fork.
How To Make Apple Pie Cake
This apple pie cake recipe has 3 layers; the yellow cake layer, apple pie mixture, and the heavenly topping. Each will be poured over the last in your cake pan.
Prepare your oven: Preheat oven to 350 F degrees and spray a 13 x 9 inch pan with cooking spray.
Prepare the cake mix: Prepare the yellow cake according to package instructions: add cake mix, the 3 eggs, water, and oil to the bowl of your mixer and mix on low speed for 2 minutes. Pour into prepared pan.
Combine apple mixture: In a medium bowl, toss together the apple mixture ingredients before spreading them evenly over the cake batter.
Make the topping: In a medium bowl stir together the flour, brown sugar, and salt for your topping. Cut the butter in using a fork to ensure that the topping becomes crumbly as the butter is worked in. Sprinkle this mixture over the apples evenly.
Finish the pie cake: Bake anywhere from 35 minutes to an hour, or until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely before serving. If you’re feeling fancy, feel free to sprinkle the dessert liberally with powdered sugar before serving.
Storing Apple Pie Cake
The best method of storage is to refrigerate in an air tight container for up to 3-4 days. If freezing be sure to let it cool to room temperature before wrapping in plastic wrap and aluminum foil.
Craving More Desserts? Try These:
- Apple Pie Taquitos
- Churro Apple Pie Cookies
- Salted Caramel Apple Pie Cheesecake Bars
- Classic Apple Pie
- Quick Apple Turnovers
- Chocolate Swiss Roll
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
Apple Pie Cake
- 1 box yellow cake mix I used Betty Crocker SuperMoist yellow cake mix
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/3 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 6 apples peeled, cored and sliced
- 3 tbsp brown sugar packed
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter cut into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees and spray a 13x9 inch pan with baking spray.
- Prepare the yellow cake according to package instructions: add cake mix, 3 eggs, water and oil to the bowl of your mixer and mix on low speed for 2 minutes. Pour into prepared pan.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the apple mixture ingredients together and spread over the cake batter.
- In a medium bowl stir together the flour, brown sugar and salt for the topping and cut in the butter using a fork or pastry blender until mixture is crumbly.
- Sprinkle topping over the apples and cake batter, evenly.
- Bake anywhere from 35 minutes to an hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely before serving. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if preferred.