Apple Pie Cake – Is it pie or is it cake? It’s both! For those times when you can’t decide if you want pie or cake, this apple pie cake will satisfy both cravings!
You know those times when you find yourself not being able to decide whether you want pie or cake, you really really want pie but would love a piece of cake instead? Well I have the perfect solution for you with this apple pie cake. It tastes like pie and cake at the same time. Throw in a scoop of great vanilla ice cream and you’ll be in heaven. Unfortunately, I didn’t have any, but it didn’t matter, this pie cake was able to please all on its own.
I used McIntosh apples here but I think any apples you have will work and I also sliced them quite small, but you could cut them bigger if you wish.
I simply love this pie cake, that’s what I’ll call it from now on, pie cake. It’s so simple to make, and yes I did use a yellow cake mix just because this is supposed to be a quick cake, so I’m all about taking shortcuts during times like this.
This pie cake has 3 layers, the yellow cake, the apples and the topping. For the apple layer, I used about 6 apples which you have to peel, core and slice, and simply mix them with some brown sugar, cinnamon and a bit of lemon juice to keep them from browning.
And for the topping all you need is some flour, some brown sugar and butter. Couldn’t get any easier.
I baked mine for about an hour, but baking time could vary, totally depends on oven, I would start checking after the 30 minute mark. But as soon as I took it out of the oven and smelled it, I knew it was going to be good. I could hardly wait to cool it a bit so I could sprinkle some powdered sugar over the top then immediately sliced into it and enjoyed a slice of warm apple pie cake.
It was heaven! It was sweet, but not too sweet, I could bite into the apples, so you’ve got the apple pie texture and then the soft and moist yellow cake. Truly a combination made in heaven! A must try, my friends, a must try!
CRAVING MORE APPLE PIE DESSERTS? TRY THESE:
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Apple Pie Cake - Is it pie or is it cake? It's both! For those times when you can't decide if you want pie or cake, this apple pie cake will satisfy both cravings!
- 1 box yellow cake mix I used Betty Crocker SuperMoist yellow cake mix
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/3 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 6 apples peeled, cored and sliced
- 3 tbsp brown sugar packed
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter cut into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees and spray a 13x9 inch pan with baking spray.
- Prepare the yellow cake according to package instructions: add cake mix, 3 eggs, water and oil to the bowl of your mixer and mix on low speed for 2 minutes. Pour into prepared pan.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the apple mixture ingredients together and spread over the cake batter.
- In a medium bowl stir together the flour, brown sugar and salt for the topping and cut in the butter using a fork or pastry blender until mixture is crumbly.
- Sprinkle topping over the apples and cake batter, evenly.
- Bake anywhere from 35 minutes to an hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely before serving. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if preferred.
For the cake please follow the instructions on your cake mix box. The ingredients listed and instructions were as per the instructions on the cake mix I used, but they could vary.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!