Last updated on March 12th, 2018 at 11:24 am
Quick Apple Turnovers – perfect for when you have a sweet tooth and want something quick. Delicious flaky apple turnovers made with puff pastry, ready in no time and way better than store bought!
Food plays a big role in my life. Not only is it my job to come up with new recipes to share with you guys, but I love food, all food. Just thinking about it, Saturday mornings in my kitchen, making big elaborate breakfasts, home cooked lunches and dinners, the aroma of baking or cooking in my house, that’s what makes me happy. However, I still love to take shortcuts here and there because more than cooking or baking, I love to actually sit down with my family or friends and enjoy eating, sharing stories about that day’s events and so on.
But I have to admit that when it comes to desserts I have a weakness for pastries. A big weakness. I love things like croissants, filled pastries with apples, chocolate, custard, cheese, caramel, you name it. As long as it’s flaky and sweet, it’s mine. While making my own puff pastry every once in a while is nice, sometimes I just want something quick but still homemade, to enjoy with my cup of coffee. Coffee, that’s another weakness of mine, but we’ll talk about that later.
My shortcut for these apple turnovers is to buy the puff pastry and just worry about the filling, and really the filling could be anything you wish. Today, however I was in the mood for apple, and the apple filling is so easy, you just need apples, brown sugar, butter and cinnamon and off you go. Yes, you can use store bought apple pie filling and this would make this recipe even quicker. Sometimes though, I do love making my own apple filling, and I did have lots of apples sitting on my counter, so why not. By making my own filling I can also control the amount of sugar that goes into these turnovers, which is what I like about these pies is that they’re not very sweet, which in my mind is great, because now I can drizzle as much caramel as I want over my turnovers. See, there’s a method to my madness.
I’ve had this brown butter caramel sauce in my fridge for months and have been wanting to use it for something, so these apple turnovers were great for that. Of course, you could simply sprinkle them with some powdered sugar and off you go. But caramel sauce over these babies, that’s just perfection.
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Quick Apple Turnovers
- In a medium skillet heat the butter and then add the apples, cinnamon and sugar.
- Cook until all the juice from the apples is soaked up and the apples are cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees.
- On a floured surface, roll out each sheet of pastry and cut into 4 pieces, each piece should be about 5 x 5 inches.
- This will make 8 turnovers, so add 1/8 of the apple mixture to each pastry. You can fold it any way you want, either as a triangle or as a rectangle. Brush some egg around the edges of the pastry, then seal the edges with a fork.
- Brush the turnovers with egg wash and cut a couple slits into each pastry.
- Bake for about 20 min or until and and golden brown.
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!