Last updated on June 30th, 2018 at 10:30 am
Peaches and Cream Strudel wrapped in puff pastry with a cream cheese and peaches filling and topped with toasted almonds. Perfect summer flavors and a guaranteed winner!
Did I ever tell you that my favorite fruits are peaches? They truly are. I just love a good juicy peach which is why I love this time of year, because they are in abundance, so when hubs came home with a box full of these juicy peaches, I knew I couldn’t let them go to waste.
Which is how this awesome peaches and cream strudel was born. I know you guys are going to ask if you can use canned peaches and the answer is, of course, yes. However, fresh peaches are best and trust me when I say it’s really not that difficult to make the peach filling. I didn’t even bother peeling the peaches. Just cut them up in pieces, transfer them to a small pot, add a bit of sugar and just cook them for about 3 to 5 minutes until they begin to soften a bit and the sugar has dissolved.
You might need to strain the filling, I did because I didn’t want to end up with a soggy strudel. The cream cheese filling is also simple, cream cheese, a bit of sugar, some vanilla and an egg yolk. This recipe will make two strudels but trust me when I say that it will still not be enough because these are the best damn peach strudels ever. No lie!
Trust me, these strudels will make you happy, juicy peaches and a creamy cream cheese filling all wrapped nicely in a puff pastry with some toasted almonds on top? It’s all good! If you want a recipe similar to this to feed a crowd, try out my Mini Peach Strudels or my Mini Blueberry Galettes.
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Peaches and Cream Strudel
- 3 large peaches cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup sugar
For Cream Cheese Mixture
- 8 oz cream cheese softened at room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 1 egg for egg wash
- icing sugar optional
- 2 tbsp almonds sliced and toasted
- Preheat the oven to 375 F degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Prepare the peach filling first by adding the peaches and 1/4 cup of sugar to a smaller pot and cook over medium heat for about 3 to 5 minutes just until all the sugar dissolves and the peaches soften a bit. Remove from heat and strain if there is too much liquid.
- In the bowl of your mixer add the cream cheese and mix until smooth. Add the sugar, vanilla extract, egg yolk to the cream cheese and continue mixing until well combined and smooth.
- Using one puff pastry at a time, place it over a lightly floured surface and roll it out into a 14x12 inch rectangle. Cut slits 1 inch apart from the 2 sides of the puff pastry about 1/3 way in, as seen in the video.
- Spoon about half the cream cheese mixture down the center of the pastry and smooth it out. Next add half the peaches over the cream cheese mixture.
- Starting at one end, fold the pastry strips over the peach mixture, alternating sides until you completely cover the peach mixture. Repeat with remaining puff pastry and ingredients.
- Place the peach strudels onto the prepared baking sheet and brush with the egg wash. Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the strudels are golden brown.
- Let the peach strudels cool down for about 5 minutes then dust with icing sugar and top with toasted sliced almonds, if preferred.
- Cut into slices and serve.
Watch How To Make It
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!