This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Yummy Lemon Rice and Pea Soup with Chicken – perfect for a cold winter day or even for a sore throat! It’s lemony and delicious!
Happy Canada Day and 4th of July everyone! I love long weekends, don’t you. I don’t like it, however, when I have a sore throat, and today was one of those days, in July I get a sore throat. But I have the perfect remedy for that. This lemon rice and pea soup with chicken will cure anyone, especially with a bit of hot sauce in it, which of course is optional.
This soup is so good, good for a cold winter day or when you just need it because you’re sick. It’s very lemony, and delicious. I love the original Greek lemon rice soup, so this one is just another variation of that.
If you guys love this recipe, and most importantly make it yourselves, please let us know. Take a picture and tag it #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
Lemon Rice and Pea Soup with Chicken
- 1 tbsp butter unsalted
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 chicken breasts boneless and skinless, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup rice long grain
- 4 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper or to taste
- 1/3 cup lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1 tbsp hot sauce or to taste
- 1 cup peas frozen or canned
- 2 tbsp chives for garnish
- In a soup pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and saute, but do not brown, until the onion becomes soft and translucent.
- Add the chicken to the pot and cook for about 3 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Add the rice, chicken broth and water to the pot. Season with salt, pepper, add the lemon juice and hot sauce. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the rice is cooked through, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add the peas and cook for a couple more minutes.
- Garnish with chives and serve.