Last updated on September 12th, 2017 at 08:43 pm
These chicken spiedies are marinated in a lemon, olive oil and herb marinade, grilled and served over Italian rolls, then drizzled with a delicious garlic sauce. Simple, quick and undeniably delicious.
We probably had the last warm Saturday of this year, so I had to take advantage of it full force. Of course this included grilling, among other activities such as driving 200 miles outside of the city in the middle of the night so you could stargaze. Don’t ask!
Mind you we grill year round, even when there are 5 feet of snow on the deck, we dig our way to the barbecue and make sure we get our meat grilled, no amount of snow will stop us. What can I say, I’m going to miss summer, it always goes by too fast here.
Enough of that though, let me tell you about spiedies. First, it’s a cool name. What’d you have for lunch? Oh well I had marinated chicken spiedies with garlic sauce. Bet you not a lot of people will say that. Unless you’re a New Yorker, of course. Because spiedies are a New York thing. Not the garlic sauce though, that’s a Jo Cooks thing, because that’s just how I roll. I’m all about the garlic. But spiedies are all New York, from my understanding they’re local to Binghamton.
Basically, spiedies are fresh cubes of lamb, chicken or beef, grilled and served on soft Italian bread, drizzled with marinade. I went with chicken here, which I marinated in a simple olive oil, lemon and herb marinade for at least a couple hours.
All you have to do is grill the chicken on skewers and then serve them in these Italian rolls. I also buttered and grilled my rolls, because you simply must. But that wasn’t enough for me, I thought the sandwiches were going to be a bit dry, and then I remembered my garlic sauce that I made with chicken shawarma and thought it would go great with this. I was right, of course.
Yeah I’m going to miss summer, but heck I can make these year round. Just the thought of biting into this buttery and crispy Italian bread and the lemony chicken with lots of garlic sauce is enough to make me forget about the winter that’s coming. Almost!
Marinated Chicken Spiedies with Garlic Sauce
- 3 large chicken breasts cut into cubes
- 4 Italian rolls
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 6 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 egg white*
- 1 tsp salt
- Add all the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth, it should take 1 to 2 minutes. This recipe will make about 1 1/2 cups of sauce, refrigerate leftover sauce.
- In a small bowl whisk together the marinade ingredients. Place the chicken in a ziploc bag and pour the marinade over the chicken, seal the bag, toss to combine. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours up to overnight.
- When ready to cook turn on your grill to medium high heat. Clean and oil the grill.
- Cut the rolls lengthwise and brush the inside of the roll generously with butter.
- Thread the chicken on 4 skewers, making sure to divide the meat equally among the skewers.
- Grill the chicken on all sides, about 3 minutes per side, until chicken is cooked and starts to brown. Place the rolls on the grill and let them grill for about 2 minutes or until the bread starts to brown.
- In each roll lay a grilled skewer inside. Gripping the roll at the bottom, carefully slide skewer off, leaving meat in the bread. Drizzle generously with the garlic sauce.