This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Healthy, filling, and finger-licking good, there is nothing quite like the perfect Grilled Chicken Sandwich! Made with marinated juicy chicken breast grilled to perfection and then topped with crispy bacon, cheddar cheese, and sweet honey mustard sauce, your family is going to fall in love with this tasty sandwich!
Best Grilled Chicken Sandwich Recipe
Move over beef burgers! This grilled chicken sandwich is going to steal the show for a bit! Because when it comes to grilling you can’t go wrong with juicy chicken marinated in a flavorful blend of herbs and spices. And then when you add some crispy bacon, melted cheddar cheese, and a creamy honey mustard sauce to the mix, you’ve got a winning combination that will have your taste buds singing.
Plus this recipe is not only super simple but easy to customize too! You can use any kind of burger buns or cheese you like. Heck, you can even switch out the sauce! I have no doubt that some herby ranch dressing, BBQ sauce, or sriracha mayo would be amazing! There is no wrong way to make a grilled chicken sandwich. I personally just love honey mustard sauce on my grilled chicken with some crispy bacon and cheddar. For me, it’s a winning combination of tastes and textures.
So whether you’re hosting a backyard barbecue or simply looking for an easy weeknight dinner idea, this chicken sandwich is the way to go! All you have to do now is decide if you want to serve it with some Air Fryer French Fries, Creamy Cucumber Salad, or Kale Cherry Salad!
Why We Love This Grilled Chicken Sandwich
- Easy Recipe! Once the chicken marinates for a bit this simple recipe comes together in under 20 minutes! You can even marinate the meat the night before and grill it the next day. And if you don’t have a grill, no problem! Just use a grill pan.
- Chicken Bacon Cheese! This sandwich is an incredibly delicious trifecta of flavor! Juicy grilled chicken, crispy bacon, and cheese! Then put it on a toasted bun and top it with some sweet tangy honey mustard sauce and you’ve got one tasty sandwich.
- Kid Friendly! The whole family is going to love this quick and easy grilled chicken sandwich. It’s both adult and kid friendly! It’s sure to become one of your go-to recipes all year long.
- Chicken – The star ingredient! You’ll need some boneless skinless chicken breasts.
- Olive Oil – I always use extra virgin olive oil for the added flavor. Yet, vegetable oil is another option.
- Lemon Juice – Adds flavor to the chicken and tenderizes it a bit. And do use fresh squeezed lemon juice! Concentrated lemon juice is just not the same and is sometimes way too acidic.
- Italian Seasonings – It’s typically a blend of dried basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme, and marjoram. If you don’t have any on hand just use a combination of what’s in your pantry.
- Seasonings – You always need to season chicken with some salt and black pepper to enhance its natural flavor.
- Hamburger Buns – You can pick any type of burger buns you prefer. You could even use my buttery Brioche Buns or make your own ciabatta buns.
- Bacon – Crispy cooked bacon makes this sandwich extra yummy! If you haven’t tried making Air Fryer Bacon this recipe is a great excuse.
- Cheddar Cheese – I love cheddar on my chicken and bacon sandwiches, but any type of sliced cheese will do the trick.
- Veggies – I topped my sandwiches with some fresh lettuce and tomato. But feel free to top your sandwiches with any veggies you like.
- Mayonnaise – You can use any brand of store-bought mayo or make your own homemade mayonnaise.
- Honey – Turns this sauce into a sweet honey mustard! You could also use agave if you like.
- Dijon Mustard – This type of mustard has just a touch of white wine in it, which gives it a bit more depth. Yellow mustard will also work if that’s what you’ve got on hand.
- White Vinegar – Add the perfect amount of acid and tang to the sauce. My second choices would be rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
- Seasonings – Some salt and black pepper are needed to season the sauce.
This simple recipe is the perfect way to bust out the grill and make something delicious that takes very little effort! Not to mention, it’s healthy too!
First, put the breasts between 2 layers of plastic wrap and then beat them with a meat mallet or rolling pin until they are about ¾ inch in thickness. But don’t go crazy beating them as you don’t want to tear the breast. This helps tenderize the chicken and help it cook evenly.
Next, we need to marinate the chicken. To begin, mix the olive oil, lemon juice, Italian seasoning, salt, and black pepper together in a medium bowl. Then add the chicken breasts and fully coat them in the marinade. Now, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
While the chicken is marinating in the fridge, you can make the honey mustard sauce. To do this, just whisk all the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl. Then cover the sauce with some plastic wrap and put it in the fridge until you’re ready to build your sandwiches.
After the chicken has had some time to marinate, preheat your grill to medium-high heat. Next, grill the breasts on each side for about 5 to 6 minutes or until they are fully cooked. Then when the chicken is almost done, you can lightly toast the burger buns on the grill so that they are ready to go. Chicken is considered done when it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C).
Now, for the best part! Putting it all together! First, spread some of the honey mustard sauce on the bottom half of the buns. Next, add a leaf of lettuce, a slice of tomato, and a slice of cheddar to the bottom half of the buns with the sauce. Then place a grilled chicken breast on top of the cheese followed by 2 slices of bacon and the top half of the buns. Now, serve the chicken sandwiches immediately and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I bake the chicken?
Yes! You can easily bake the chicken instead. Just put the marinated breasts on a nonstick sheet pan sprayed with cooking spray and bake them at 400°F (204°C) for about 20 to 25 minutes. Just keep in mind that the cooking time will depend on the size of the chicken breasts, so it’s important to test the doneness with a meat thermometer before serving.
Are grilled chicken sandwich healthy?
Overall yes! Chicken is packed with lean protein as well as essential vitamins and minerals. But if you want to go super healthy just take off the bacon, cheese, and honey mustard sauce. Yet, this grilled chicken sandwich is definitely healthier than a burger with bacon and cheese.
Can I use leftover cooked chicken for this recipe?
You sure can! If you have some leftover grilled, baked, or rotisserie chicken, feel free to use it for a quick and easy sandwich. Just make sure to heat the chicken up a bit before assembling your sandwich, so it’s nice and warm when you take that first bite.
How do I grill chicken without it drying out?
To prevent your chicken from drying out on the grill, make sure to marinate or season it well before cooking. Keep an eye on the cooking time and use a meat thermometer to ensure it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C) without overcooking. Remember, moist and juicy chicken is the key to a scrumptious sandwich!
- Marinate the chicken longer. If possible marinate the breasts for a few hours to produce the most tender and flavorful chicken. As stated in the recipe, thirty minutes is the minimum amount of time.
- Oil your grill grates. This helps to keep the chicken breasts from sticking. You can use non-stick cooking spray or dip a paper towel in a little oil and wipe the oil evenly over the grates. However, do this prior to turning the grill on.
- Ensure the chicken is cooked. You should check your chicken with a digital thermometer to make sure that it has reached at least 165°F (74°C). Using a thermometer also helps to keep you from overcooking the chicken as well.
It’s always best to eat already assembled grilled chicken sandwiches immediately after they are made. However, they will keep in the fridge for a couple of days.
You can also just store the grilled chicken by itself for up to 4 days in the fridge or up to 3 months in the freezer in an airtight container. Then to reheat just pop it in the microwave for a few minutes on medium power or put it in the oven for about 10 minutes at 350°F (177°C). However, if the chicken is frozen it’s best to let it thaw out overnight in the fridge before reheating it.
Other Delicious Sandwich Recipes You’ll Love
- Patty Melt
- Best Fried Chicken Sandwich
- Chicken Ranch Burgers
- Croque Monsieur
- Hawaiian Ham And Cheese Stromboli
- 4 hamburger buns (split)
- 8 slices cooked bacon
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 4 leaves lettuce
- 1 large tomato (sliced)
- Using a meat mallet, pound the chicken breasts so that they're about ¾ inch in thickness.
- In a medium size bowl combine the 2 tablespoons of olive oil, lemon juice, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Add he chicken breasts and toss until well combined. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl combine all the sauce ingredients together. Refrigerate until ready to assemble sandwiches.
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
- Grill the chicken breasts for about 5-6 minutes per side, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- While the chicken is cooking, lightly toast the hamburger buns on the grill.
- To assemble the sandwiches, spread the honey mustard mixture on the bottom halves of the buns.
- Add a lettuce leaf, a slice of tomato, and a slice of cheddar cheese to each sandwich.
- Place a grilled chicken breast on top of the cheese, 2 bacon slices on each, then add the top half of the bun.
- Serve the grilled chicken sandwiches hot and enjoy!
- Marinate longer for more flavor: Although the recipe calls for marinating the chicken for at least 30 minutes, letting it marinate for a few hours or even overnight will allow the flavors to penetrate the chicken more deeply.
- Customize your toppings: Feel free to experiment with different types of cheese, vegetables, or even additional sauces to create your perfect sandwich.
- Use quality buns: A good sandwich starts with a good foundation. Choose fresh, quality buns that complement the flavors of the grilled chicken and other ingredients.
- Rest the chicken: After grilling the chicken, let it rest for a few minutes before assembling the sandwich. This allows the juices to redistribute, ensuring a tender and juicy chicken breast.
- Adjust the sauce to taste: Feel free to adjust the honey mustard sauce to your liking. If you prefer a sweeter sauce, add more honey; if you like it tangier, increase the mustard or vinegar.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.