This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
One Pot Chicken Sausage Rice Enchilada – a one pot wonder that tastes like an enchilada but is made with rice, veggies, chicken and sausage.
My love for enchiladas is becoming an obsession. Whenever the weekend comes and I think about what to cook, somehow I always come back to some sort of an enchilada dish. But being a food blogger, forces me to try different recipes and not repeat a lot of older recipes. But that’s a good thing. Most of the time, anyway. There are could be failures, which I don’t usually share with you guys, but most of them are successes. But let’s face it, when you have enchilada sauce, chicken and cheese in a recipe, I don’t think you can really screw up.
Seeing how much you guys loved my Chicken Enchilada Rice Casserole, I just knew that I had to come up with another awesome concoction. As I said not that difficult. Not that I wouldn’t mind giving myself credit for coming up with a super complicated and fabulous dish, but I’m more of an easy recipe kinda gal. And you couldn’t get any easier with this rice dish. I don’t know why enchilada rice casseroles aren’t more popular because they are freaking amazing.
My mom makes these types of dishes all the time. She’ll throw in a bunch of veggies, some sort of meat, then rice and throw the pot in the oven for a while and dinner’s ready. It’s perfect because you get your veggies, your proteins, and because I add cheese, your dairy and carbs. It’s all in one dish. You know what this means? It’s a hearty meal that will satisfy your tummy, and you won’t be back in the kitchen in 30 minutes looking for more food.
The veggies of my choice here were red and green bell peppers, onion and garlic. To make the dish look pretty, I’m all about pretty, I topped it with avocado, chopped tomatoes, some green onions and some parsley, though I recommend cilantro. To me this screams Mexican food. Oh I forgot to tell you I threw in some canned jalapenos and boy did it give this dish a kick. It was yummo! Even hubs who usually mumbles and grumbles at rice and pasta dishes, ate 2 whole servings. Do you know how big that is? It’s big. The compliments were pouring in and I couldn’t have been happier.
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
One Pot Chicken Sausage Rice Enchilada
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 chicken breast boneless, skinless, cut into small pieces
- 1 chorizo sausage sliced
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper chopped
- 2 tbsp canned jalapeno chopped
- 1 10 oz can red enchilada sauce
- 1 cup rice I used Basmati rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- freshly ground black pepper
- tomatoes chopped
- cilantro chopped
- avocado chopped
- green onions chopped
- In a large pot or dutch oven, heat the olive oil then add chicken and sausage. Cook until chicken is no longer pink.
- Add in the onion and garlic and cook for a couple more minutes or until onion is translucent. Throw in the bell peppers and jalapeno and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add rice, enchilada sauce, chicken broth and season with salt and pepper. I didn't really add any salt, just about 1/2 tsp of black pepper. Bring to a boil and cook on low heat until rice is cooked and all the sauce has almost disappeared.
- Add 1/2 of the cheese and stir. Top with remaining cheese and place under the broiler for a couple minutes or until cheese melts.
- Top with tomatoes, cilantro, avocado and green onions. Serve warm.
For another creative enchilada idea, try my Chicken Enchilada Rice Casserole.