This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These Blueberry Chocolate Chip Scones are crunchy on the outside, tender, moist and buttery on the inside. Delicious and simple to make, they will become and instant family classic.
Scones are the perfect weekend breakfast and it’s probably one of the easiest things you can bake. By definition a scone is a quick bread, no yeast required, no rising, you just pretty much mix all the ingredients together. Scones are also very versatile. They can be made savory or sweet. I like them both ways but I do prefer a sweet scone.
This is a simple recipe that uses fresh blueberries and chocolate chips. I made them for a meeting at work and everyone loved them. This is why I doubled the original recipe here, and I also wanted my scones a bit bigger, but if you don’t so many, feel free to cut the recipe in half.
Scones are extremely easy to make. There are basically 3 steps to making them.
- First you need to mix all your dry ingredients together, so the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Cut in the butter using a pastry blender until mixture resembles peas. Add blueberries or chocolate chips, whatever you’re adding them.
- Next you need to mix all your wet ingredients together such as buttermilk and eggs.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients, mix it all using a fork, or your hands. Knead over a floured surface for a few seconds, roll out the dough and cut the scones.
Do you all have a favorite scone recipe? I pretty much like them all. 🙂
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
Blueberry and Chocolate Chip Scones
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl add the all purpose flour and cake flour. To it add the baking powder, sugar and salt. Mix it all together. Using a pastry blender or a fork, cut in the butter in the flour until it resembles small peas.
- Add the blueberries and the chocolate chips to the flour mixture and toss them around.
- In another small bowl mix the buttermilk with the two eggs and vanilla extract.
- Pour the buttermilk mixture over the flour mixture and slightly mix with a fork. Turn the dough over onto a floured surface and gently knead until all the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Cut the dough in half and roll each half into a 8 inch disc that's about 1 inch in thickness. Cut the disc into 8 triangles, like a pizza. Repeat with other half.
- Place the scones onto the prepared baking sheet. Brush the triangles with the egg wash and sprinkle with additional sugar if desired.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the scones are golden brown.