Last updated on June 1st, 2018 at 08:56 am
This Chicken and Gnocchi Dumpling Soup is perfect for this time of year, it’s comforting, delicious and made with gnocchi. Super easy to make!
It’s soup season, right? Well for me it’s soup season year round, but you know what I mean. But there’s nothing more comforting than chicken soup and this chicken soup doesn’t disappoint. It’s loaded with chicken, peas, carrots and my favorite ingredient in this soup has got to be the gnocchi. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good chicken and dumpling soup, but I love the simplicity of this soup, plus I love it when I find new ways of using gnocchi.
I also used chicken thighs, boneless and skinless, but feel free to use any part of the chicken. Also, it doesn’t have to be boneless or skinless, as a matter of fact if you use the skin and bone it will add more flavor to the soup, however, I went for the healthier alternative.
If you’ve never used gnocchi in a soup before, I highly recommend it, especially in this soup as it serves as a dumpling. In my opinion this soup embodies a fall season kind of dinner, you can have it ready in no time at all, and best of all you can serve it with a good crusty bread that you want to dip into this soup, because we’re all about the carbs.
Most importantly, for someone who hates leftovers, this is the kind of soup I look forward to eating leftovers and it seems like it’s better day after day, well if it lasts for a few days anyway. Not at my house, we love our soups, so whenever we make soup it usually goes pretty fast.
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Chicken and Gnocchi Dumpling Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 lb chicken thighs skinless and boneless, cut into 1 inch pieces, 12 oz
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper or to taste
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 1 medium carrot chopped
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
- 5 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 8 oz gnocchi
- 1 cup peas frozen
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley for garnish
- In a large Dutch oven heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the chicken thigh pieces to the pot then season them generously with salt and pepper. Cook the chicken for about 5 to 7 minutes or until they start to brown.
- Add the chopped onion, celery, carrots, thyme and rosemary to the pot. Add the chicken broth and scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen the browned bits, bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and continue cooking for another 8 minutes.
- In a small bowl whisk together the 2 tbsp of flour with a couple ladles of the soup from the pot. Add this mixture back to the pot and stir well. Cook for a couple more minutes, the soup will thicken a bit.
- Add in the gnocchi and cook for 3 more minutes or until the gnocchi starts to float to the surface.
- Add the peas and cook for another 5 minutes. Taste for seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper as necessary.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve.
Watch How To Make It
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!