Last updated on November 4th, 2018 at 07:13 pm
This Coconut Basil Chicken Curry is an incredibly fragrant coconut milk based curry and ready in just 30 minutes. Perfect for a busy weeknight.
I love curries because they’re quick and so full of flavor. But my favorite curries are coconut milk based because they’re so creamy and delicious. This coconut basil chicken curry is an old recipe I’ve been making over the years and it’s easy, quick, requires only a few ingredients and it’s done all in one pot.
While I know this isn’t an authentic recipe, nor is it of any ethnicity, I think it’s a cross between a Thai and Indian curry. I tried to make this as simple as possible with just a couple spices, curry and chili powder, which is enough to fully flavor this dish.
I used a bit of chicken broth and a whole can of coconut milk making this sauce so creamy and flavorful. This curry is quite light and loaded with fresh basil, some jalapeno pepper, and garlic.
While I used chicken breasts for this dish, boneless skinless chicken thighs can be used as well and would actually work quite well in this dish. Also, keep in mind that you can adjust the quantity of spices such as the curry based on your tastes by increasing the curry if you prefer a stronger curry flavor.
CRAVING MORE CURRIES? TRY THESE:
- Coconut Shrimp Curry
- Thai Red Chicken Curry
- Indian Salmon Curry with Saffron Rice
- Instant Pot Butter Chicken
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Coconut Basil Chicken Curry
- 1 1/2 lb chicken breasts boneless and skinless (2 or 3 depending on size), cut into small cubes
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper or to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup basil fresh and torn roughly
- 14 oz coconut milk (1 can)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth low sodium or no sodium added
- Add the chicken to a small bowl and sprinkle the curry powder, chili powder and salt and pepper. Toss the chicken so that each piece is well seasoned. Set aside.
- In a large skillet add the olive oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for about 5 minutes, just until the chicken starts to brown.
- Add the onion to the skillet and cook until onion is translucent, about 5 more minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and jalapeno pepper and cook for another 30 seconds just until the garlic becomes aromatic.
- Add the chicken broth and coconut milk to the skillet. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat to a medium and cook for 5 more minutes. Taste for seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper as needed. Stir in the basil and remove from heat.
- Serve warm over rice.
Watch How To Make It
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Nutrition: Nutritional information does not include rice. Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
Recipe originally published March 2013 and it has been updated with new pictures and video.