This Jamaican Jerk Seasoning blend is made right at home. Save your money and make your own with a kick from a blend of spices such as cayenne pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg to name a few.
Jamaican Jerk Seasoning
Today I have something different to share with you, a spice blend recipe. Jamaican jerk is such a versatile spice blend to have in your cupboard. It adds heat, dimension, and complexity to many a dish. This is my favorite particular little mix but it’s completely customizable!
Packed full of aromatics, sweet yet smokey notes, complex nutmeg, and spices from across the globe, this seasoning is famous for a reason. We’re thankful it made its way across the ocean because it tastes so good on just about anything! So let’s get into it shall we?
What Is Jamaican Jerk Seasoning?
Today’s spice blend is a dry Jamaican Jerk seasoning or spice blend which is amazing. It actually refers to a style of cooking that just involves rubbing a hot spice blend over your choice of meat. I decided to dial down the heat today, as a lot of jerk seasoning you’ll find in the store includes powdered habanero.
So thank me later.
Ingredients In Jamaican Jerk Seasoning
- Aromatics – Powdered onion and garlic.
- Spices – Cumin, nutmeg, allspice, smoked paprika, cinnamon.
- Heat – Red pepper flakes and cayenne pepper.
- Sugar – Just some brown sugar for a well rounded depth of flavor.
- Seasoning – Salt and pepper.
- Herbs – Dried parsley and thyme.
How To Make Jamaican Jerk Seasoning
Detailed measurements and instructions can be found on the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page.
- Make the spice blend: Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. Recipe will yield about 1/2 cup. Store in a spice jar in your spice cabinet.
What Can I Use Jamaican Jerk Seasoning On?
There’s so many ways you can use this delicious spice blend! Feel free to play around with it.
- Jerk chicken
- Jamaican Jerk Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Fish, any nice white fish or even salmon!
- Pork chops
- Toss Air Fryer Chicken Wings in this seasoning after it’s done cooking
- Cauliflower – drizzle an entire head with olive oil and rub this spice blend in. Bake it in the oven and believe me you’ll have to resist eating the entire thing!
How To Tell If Your Spices Are Still Fresh
We all know spice blends can last a while, but they do go stale eventually. If you want to ensure both the spices you add to your seasoning and your seasoning itself is fresh just keep an eye on the color. If the pigment starts to fade and the spices begin to look dull, your blend may be starting to go stale.
How Long Can I Store Jamaican Jerk Seasoning?
Jerk seasoning can be safely kept in your pantry, if stored properly for about 1 to 2 years.
More Spice Blends To Add To Your Pantry
Looking for more recipes? Follow on…
Jamaican Jerk Seasoning
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. Recipe will yield about 1/2 cup. Store in a spice jar in your spice cabinet.
- You can adjust the salt to your preference, or completely omit it from this recipe.
- Keep spices and herbs away from heat and moisture. Although spices and herbs will keep for a long time if stored properly (4 years), they will lose their strength.
- To tell if your spices are still fresh, just look at their color and if the color has faded, their flavor probably has faded as well.