This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This rustic plum galette or crostata is the perfect mid-summer dessert. It’s juicy, delicious and spectacular in its simplicity.
Still here in Southern Ontario, and I must say I’m enjoying my vacation. Yes it’s been super hot and super humid, but hey isn’t that what summer should be about? I’ve also been surprised and just mentioned to my mom that I’ve been here a week and haven’t had any mosquito bites all week when I’m usually the main course, but it seems that I spoke too soon because I just got a couple bites. All week I’ve been feeling so nostalgic driving around the city, seeing the places where I grew up, where we’ve lived before and where we went to school. It’s been quite nice and it’s been nice spending all this time with my family.
I realized that it’s been way too long since I made a galette and it seems like I only make them in the summer, though I have no clue why, because you could really make these all year round. This plum galette reminds me of winter because of how pretty it looks with all the sprinkled sugar on top, but trust me it’s totally for this time of year. There are plenty of plums now in the markets and if you want a plum dessert that’s easy to make, pretty and incredibly delicious, this plum galette will do that.
The crust itself is pretty similar to a pie crust and made the same way, you just add the ingredients into a food processor and let it do all the work for you. The great thing about this crust is that you can use it for any sort of filling, I would just leave the sugar out, but you can make either savoury galettes or sweet galettes.
As far as the filling goes, I only used 3 ingredients and that’s plums, sugar and a bit of cinnamon, I’m all about simplicity. I used a coconut palm sugar here, though it looks like brown sugar, but you can of course use brown sugar. I love these types of galettes, they’re perfect for a quick dessert, I even like to have a slice for breakfast with my coffee, if there’s any left.
If you guys love this recipe, and most importantly make it yourselves, please let us know. Take a picture and tag it #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter cold, (1 stick), cut into pieces and chill again
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup ice water
- In a food processor, add the 1 1/4 cups of flour, sugar, the salt and pulse to combine. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add sour cream and the ice water and pulse until the dough just barely comes together. Gather the dough and pat it into a disk. Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate until chilled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425 F degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Working on a lightly floured surface, roll out the disk of dough to a 12-inch round; transfer to the baking sheet.
- In a bowl stir the brown sugar with the cinnamon together.
- Arrange the plums in the center of the dough, leaving a 1 1/2-inch border all around. Sprinkle with the sugar mix evenly over the plums. Fold the edge of the dough up and over the plums. Brush the rim with the egg wash and sprinkle with additional brown sugar if preferred.
- Bake the galette for about 45 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the fruit is tender and bubbling. Let the galette cool on the baking sheet for 30 minutes, sprinkle with some powdered sugar, then cut into wedges and serve.