This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
I made Naan again today and I needed to make something for dinner like a stew so I could really enjoy the Naan and dip it in some nice and tasty stew. This pork and potato stew is quite popular in my house because it’s really easy to make and pretty quick, especially after a hard day at work. This is real comfort food for me. This stew would also go great with polenta, so really it’s quite versatile.
This potato stew is actually quite a popular Romanian dish, in fact potatoes are a staple in Romanian cuisine, probably because they’re cheap but also delicious and quick and easy to cook. This stew could be made with beef, chicken or even with no meat at all. The reason I like it is because you really don’t need a recipe to make it. You just throw in it whatever veggies you have on hand, for example I used a red bell pepper, but feel free to use carrots, celery, peas, whatever veggies you like. It’s a hearty dish and it’s one of the first recipes I learned to cook.
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
Pork and Potato Stew
- 1 lb lean pork meat I used pork tenderloin
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 lb potatoes pealed and chopped in 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup canned chopped tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- hot sauce to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp paprika
- chopped parsley
- 3 cup water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- In a large skillet heat the oil over medium heat. When the oil is hot enough, add the chopped onion and cook until onion is translucent, do not burn it.
- Chop the pork meat into 1 inch cubes. Add the pork and garlic to the onion. For this stew I used these gorgeous baby yellow potatoes, which I just cleaned really well and peeled, however, you may use any potato you like. Add the potatoes and red pepper to the skillet.
- At this point we just want to cook the meat until it's done, but we do not want to burn the potatoes, so about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, hot sauce, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper and water to the skillet and stir. Once it's boiling turn down the heat and cover with a lid and let simmer for about 30 to 45 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and sour cream if preferred.