This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These Pretzel Turtles are the perfect combination of sweet and salty! A little crunchy, a little chocolate, a little caramel, a pecan equals total deliciousness!
Recently I’ve come to a conclusion. I love dark chocolate more than milk chocolate which is not a bad thing because dark chocolate is healthier for you. For these pretzel turtles I used dark chocolate only but if you like milk chocolate feel free to use it. You could also use a mix of the two.
Anyway let me tell you about these turtles. This is such a simple treat to make and they are so good. They will be popular with everyone, from kid to adult, everyone will love you and look at you like a God…or Goddess.
Pretzel Turtle Recipe
This recipe makes 35 pretzel turtles and here I thought this was enough to share with my family. I was wrong. My dear husband, lover of turtles, claimed them all as his own. So I suppose I should make some more, but that’s OK because these are super easy to make.
How to Make Pretzel Turtles
Preheat your oven to 325 F degrees. You can start by roasting the pecan halves for 5 minutes or so. This step is optional, I just think pecans are better roasted.
Next you lay your pretzels on a baking sheet lined with silpat or parchment paper, and then set a caramel on top of each pretzel. This is where I started going nuts. Each caramel was wrapped in cellophane. I had to unwrap each caramel, which proved to be a little more difficult than it sounds.
Don’t laugh, I’m serious. Luckily I was listening to my favorite Christmas music so I was singing along forgetting about the stupid caramels. Eventually I finished and it was all worth it.
Place the baking sheet in the oven for about 5 to 6 minutes until the caramels soften, but make sure they do not melt. Next take those beautiful roasted pecan halves and carefully press them on top of the caramels. T
I used about 12 oz of dark chocolate and melted it. You can melt it in the microwave, or on the stove top, whatever works for you. Stir it so you get this yummy smooth melted chocolate. Remove the pretzels from the baking sheet.
Now the next part is easy, don’t get scared. Use a measuring tablespoon to spoon small dollops, about half a tbsp of chocolate over the baking silpat, as seen below. Take the pretzels and gently press on top of the chocolate. Continue until finished.
If you have some left over chocolate, drizzle some on top of the pretzels. For perfect sweet and salty combination, sprinkle with some fleur de sel, which just means sea salt. I love the combination of salt and chocolate together. Trust me, it’s to die for.
Now comes the hardest part of all. You have to wait until the chocolate cools and hardens. To speed up the process pop them into the fridge for a bit, and then finally you can enjoy these delicious morsels. These pretzel turtles are the perfect holiday treat!
Looking for More Christmas Cookies? Try These:
- Mexican Wedding Cookies
- Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- Thumbprint cookies
- Classic Shortbread Cookies
- Lemon Thumbprint Cookies
- Chocolate Rumballs
- Cherry Pecan Rugelach
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
- 35 pecan halves
- 35 pretzel twists
- 35 caramels
- 12 oz dark chocolate melted
- 1 tsp fleur de sel
- Preheat your oven to 325 F degrees.
- Roast the pecan halves for about 5 minutes or until they become aromatic.
- Next lay the pretzels on a baking sheet lined with silpat or parchment paper, and then set a caramel on top of each pretzel.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven for about 5 to 6 minutes until the caramels soften, but make sure they do not melt. Next press pecan halves them on top of the caramels.
- Remove the pretzels from the baking sheet. Use a measuring spoon to spoon small dollops, about half a tbsp of chocolate over the baking silpat. Take the pretzels and gently press on top of the chocolate. Continue until finished.
- If you have some left over chocolate, drizzle some on top of the pretzels and sprinkle with fleur de sel.
- Allow them to cool completely before serving. To speed this up you can pop them in the fridge for about half hour.