Last updated on July 31st, 2018 at 07:58 pm
Delicious Shrimp Scampi with Bacon over linguine. You must try this recipe if you love shrimp scampi, the bacon adds that extra bit of flavor that is to die for.
I feel like shrimp scampi is a summer dish and if that’s the case I am dragging this summer out for as long as I can. I don’t know if I’m ready for winter, yes I said winter. There’s no fall here, we go from summer straight into winter. We already had snow and I even saw a black bear which is interesting because shouldn’t they start their hibernation now?
The term scampi is the name of a dish of shrimp served in garlic butter and dry white wine, served either with bread, or over pasta or rice, although sometimes just the shrimp alone. For me shrimp scampi is a comfort food which is why I love to serve it over linguine with lots of bacon and lots of freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Bacon will give it a little extra richness and a nice crunch to it while the Parmesan cheese will add a bit of saltiness and lots of goodness.
I like to use uncooked shrimp because I find that they have more flavor and they taste so much better. You can find them already peeled and they come about a pound per bag. Sometimes they go on sale and that’s when I buy a few bags and just store them in my freezer because otherwise they can get quite expensive and I love my shrimp.
My other secret ingredient that I like to add to this dish are cherry tomatoes. I find they just add a burst of freshness to the whole dish, and as I said because of the bacon and all the butter this could be a very rich dish, and so the tomatoes cut out some of that richness and heaviness and make it really nice.
Shrimp scampi really has to be one of the easiest dishes you can prepare, not a lot of ingredients, but besides the shrimp they are ingredients most of us already have in the house and you can have it on your dinner table in just 30 minutes.
Love this recipe? Try out my Jacked-Up Chicken Scampi with Linguine!
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Shrimp Scampi with Bacon
- 16 oz linguine uncooked
- 5 strips bacon chopped
- 4 tbsp butter unsalted
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 5 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1/2 cup white wine (I used chardonnay)
- 1 tbsp hot sauce or to taste
- 2 tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper or to taste
- 1 lb shrimp deveined and deshelled
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes quartered
- 5 green onions
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- Cook the linguine according to package instructions.
- In a large skillet, fry the bacon until crisp. Transfer the bacon to a plate lined with paper towels. Drain the fat.
- Add the butter to the skillet and melt. Stir in the onion and garlic and cook for about 3 to 5 minutes until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Stir in the white wine, hot sauce, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Add the shrimp and cook for a couple minutes until the shrimp is no longer pink turning the shrimp half way so that it cooks on both sides.
- Add the cooked linguini to the pot. Add tomatoes, chopped bacon, and green onions. Toss everything together well.
- Garnish with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and serve warm.
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!