This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Olive oil and Garlic Pasta known as Aglio e Olio in Italian is a traditional pasta dish originating in Naples known for its simplicity.
This olive oil and garlic pasta dish is all about the simplicity of the ingredients. It is also ready in only 15 minutes. That’s better than take-out, plus this is homemade so it’s better in every sense of the word.
With a handful of ingredients, the main sauce ingredients being olive oil and garlic, you’ll end up with one of the most delicious pastas you’ll ever try. I love to serve this with a side of Kale and Quinoa Salad, and a slice of Cheesy Garlic Bread.
What Is Aglio E Olio
Aglio e Olio literally means olive oil and garlic. It is a traditional Italian pasta dish from Naples known for its simplicity. This dish is made by sautéing sliced garlic in olive oil, sometimes with the addition of red pepper flakes, or anchovies. You then thrown in some pasta such as spaghetti, linguini or fettuccine in and toss it well.
Olive oil and garlic really are the start of many wonderful sauces, but in this pasta dish, they actually get a chance to shine. This is really a very popular pasta dish in Italy and whenever I think of Italians eating pasta, this is what comes to mind.
How to Make Aglio E Olio
Making this pasta dish really couldn’t get any easier. I do love to add a whole head of garlic and about 2 tsp of red chili flakes for that extra little bit of heat. All you have to do is fry the garlic and red pepper flakes until they’re golden brown and you hear them sizzling then just toss in the pasta.
Although I served it with Parmesan cheese, many Italians would argue that the cheese isn’t necessary. In fact it isn’t even a welcome addition. However, I love my Parmesan cheese so I grated some on mine.
Looking for More Italian Pasta Recipes? Try These:
- Italian Pasta Salad
- Pasta Alla Vodka
- Pesto Shrimp Asparagus Pasta
- Italian Shrimp Bake with Pasta
- Easy Chicken Alfredo Pasta Bake
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
Aglio e Olio
- 1 lb fettuccine uncooked, or any pasta
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1 head garlic peeled and sliced
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper or to taste
- 1/2 cup parsley fresh, chopped
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- lemon juice freshly squeezed
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and heavily salt it. Add the fettuccine and cook until al dente, or slightly underdone.
- While pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large deep skillet or saute pan over medium heat.
- Once the oil is simmering add the garlic slices and the red pepper flakes and stir. Cook until the garlic turns slightly golden brown. Season with salt and pepper.
- Lower the heat to a medium-low and add the cooked pasta, drained and the parsley and toss. If the pasta is too dry add some of the pasta water, about half a cup.
- Garnish with lemon juice and freshly grated parmesan cheese.